PDA

View Full Version : Survey of Working Hours!

troubleshooter
18th Mar 2001, 00:57
Hi,
What does everybody think of the questionnaire that has been sent out by the Body Rythems and Shiftwork Centre?
It has been commissioned by the CAA to look into working hours of LAE's.
Coupled with forthcoming working time directives and european laws, etc, Could we be in danger of answering the survey one way and then end up losing shifts that most engineers want to keep. For example, the 4 on, 4 off, 12 hour Line shifts that most line engineers work, it suits the companies and is better than a lot of other shifts around.
What are the thoughts out there?
TS

time-ex
18th Mar 2001, 02:46
If you are not going to answer this survey honestly (because it may predjudice your working conditions) don't answer it at all.
It will be a worthless excercise if we all check which box we tick just in case it may predjudice our working conditions. I think
you are suggesting that we answer the survey in such a manner that we retain status quo.

spannerhead
18th Mar 2001, 13:04
I don't think that TS is suggesting that it be answered dishonestly,he mearly asked our thoughts. Your right tx, if you are going to reply then you might as well be honest. I personally filed it with the rest of the junk mail!

jetfueldrinker
18th Mar 2001, 20:53
The current regime that I work is terible. We work more hours in the winter than in summer, don't see our family between October and June, but the time off in summer is surposed to make up got this. I can tell you, it does not.

But if you are happy with your current regime, then say so in the survay. Who knows, the powers that be may actually listen to your opinion and suggest that these shifts be adopted. Having worked 4 on 4 off, I would go for this any time. Then again, I also know of many unhappy bunnies who would rether not work shifts at all, and some who would rather not work at all!

In the end, we all have to work; some environments dictate that 4 on 4 off is the best system, and others where a standard 8 hours working is the maximum that most people can tollerate without being so fatigued that they regularly fall asleep at the wheel on the way home.

So please fill in your survay truthfully. We all have nothing to lose by doing this, and everything to gain.

JFD

The Weasel
19th Mar 2001, 04:25
The only problem I can see with this survey is that some people are unlikely to admit their 'actual' hours and teabreak lengths against their 'scheduled'times. I realize that night shifts may be genuinely tiring in ramp areas but in base maintenance,well it's an eye opener to see how quiet it is after 3am.
The one vital question missing from the survey is....How many early traps or Job- and-away's do you get? That would tell the surveyor all he needs to know!

jetfueldrinker
19th Mar 2001, 22:57
Want to know how many traps and 'job_and _aways' I get? Big fat 0. Under our regime, you are on the clock from the moment you swipe in until you swipe out; so if you do bog off early, you don't get paid. Sure, we do have the ocasional slack days in summer, but as time has marched on, so our time has been put to use servicing aircraft and going down route for AOG's. So it would be fair to say that in the main, we are had by the short and curlies at our place!

troubleshooter
20th Mar 2001, 02:08
Well, I'm glad that sparked a few replies, my thougths exactly.
Time-ex: Yes, I have to agree, if you do answer this survey, it should be honest.
JFD: The trouble with surveys and stats, I am concerned that you get the answer you want to get!
It doesn't sound like its too good where you work as far as shifts go.
I have always thought that 10 hours was about max in a base environment and 12 hours OK on a line station, is this your experience?

Does the average LAE want to be too restricted by amount of hours worked?, yes it should be monitored for your own health and sanity, but what the the overtime?
TS

AirMech
22nd Mar 2001, 04:09
With regards to a working hours survey, AirMech.co.uk are carrying out a salary survey at the moment. This will also measure the amount of hours expected of staff to earn said salary.
It is getting off to a great start, the more input the better. When we have about 100 replies the results will be posted on www.airmech.co.uk (http://www.airmech.co.uk) and this will be constantly maintained with the latest information. Hope it helps.