PDA

View Full Version : Qatar

pizza
6th Jul 2001, 04:53
Has anyone worked in Qatar as a LAME. Anything to watch out for. What about outside of work on days off? Besides the heat, is it a good place to work?

compression ratio
6th Jul 2001, 05:23
Your off to Doha hey!

The actual "city" Doha is relitively small, and surrounding towns are much smaller. I assume you will be based in Doha. Working for whom, QR/Gulf Heli's?/GF??

Generally housing thats provided is quite good standard, just beware that the company may move you once you get there! A few co's have done that, what they offer at the interview isn't quite what you get upon arrival and they'll say it's "temporary!!"

Make sure you like swimming/diving/water sports and sports and of course drinking, cause besides that there aint a whole lot to do.

Eating out is very cheap as are electrical items. Fresh produce like milk etc etc is quite expensive.

Not sure what else you want to know, e-mail address in profile

jetfueldrinker
6th Jul 2001, 13:19
If you belong to a non Islamic religeon, be ware. My brother-in-law got kicked out of Qatar because he is a Christian. He had some Christian friends round one day, word got out and he, his wife and 3 kids were on the next plane home. The company he was with did offer him a place in America, but he did not fancy that, so he went back to South Africa. Not the place to be if you are white right now.

Macdu
6th Jul 2001, 17:31
Unless you are spreading anti-islamic propaganda, being a christian or any other religion does not matter. Infact Doha has a few Catholic, Protestant, Angelican churches around.

Jango
8th Jul 2001, 12:00
Did a stint in Doha, freindly enough place, as an expat you are left pretty much alone. Hotel pubs are okay, good happy hours etc. But it is a small place, surrounding countryside a bit bleak, flat and dirt brown.

QR had a reputation for not keeping LAE's..hence recent adverts for more! But I believe they have sorted themselves out a bit of late. Tom Botha was Eng Manager, good guy.

neil_further
15th Jul 2001, 14:28
I also did a stint in Doha for QR, It was about 5 years ago and there has been changes in the management since. However;
[list=1]
You will need an exit visa to leave the country,signed by the CEO.These are not easy to get unless you are crew with a multi exit.
The contract is very fluid,you get the basic pay as advertised,but no overtime even if promised, also they make deductions for items that your contract says will be paid.
There is not much to do other than the ocean or desert, The golf course and Sheraton are nice but expensive.
Alcohol only in cans at the hotel bars,You will need a permit to buy your own for home use, this also must be approved by the CEO.[/list=a]
Apart from the usual discomforts Doha itself is ok,Shopping malls and most of the usual western outlets are available. Expats from other industries that Mrs Further befriended seemed fairly happy but most of the airline staff hated it, witness the constant stream of ads in Flight.