PDA

View Full Version : Social aspects of becoming a pilot

RoyBoy20
23rd Jun 2005, 13:35
HI THERE

IM 18 AND AM GOING TO COMMENCE AB-INITIO TRAINING SOON. I HAVE CHOSEN NOT TO GO TO UNIVERSITY. HOWEVER I FEEL THAT NOT GOING TO UNIVERSITY I WILL NOT DEVELOP MY SOCIAL LIFE AND THAT BECOMING A PILOT BY THE AGE OF 20 I WILL NOT HAVE A GREAT SOCIAL STANDING.

I JUST WANT TO KNOW. HOW EASY IS IT MAKING FREINDS IN THE INDUSTRTY AS PILOTS? DO YOU CREATE FREINDS FOR LIFE OR JUST THE ODD PUB VISIT ON THE NIGHTSTOP?

ALSO JUST CURIOUS, ARE THERE MANY PILOTS BELOW THE AGE OF 25?

alexban
23rd Jun 2005, 14:05
you should check the wannabes forums,or do a search on your topic (often discussed)
social life?....in airlines?...army?...rescue?....depends where you do your job,but I can tell you it's something else..
At 18 you worry about friends for life? If you do computers and you have to go work in some other city,or some other big company,you'll see how far your friends will become.So..
Pilots younger then 25? A lot...most of us were ..
It's a perfect job,but you have to be fit for it and you have to love it.Otherwise it can be a s:mad: of a thing to do,sometimes.
Brgds
Alex

redsnail
24th Jun 2005, 16:12
I thought you wanted to become a cabin crew member?
(ref the post in the Cabin Crew forum)

VFE
24th Jun 2005, 17:02
During training you will meet some friends for life but having not got a flying job yet means I'm not best placed to comment on the social life after training. There were enough opportunities to party whilst training (to a greater or lesser degree depending on your ability in the classroom and the bar!) but if you're looking to "live a little" whilst you're still young enough I would say go to university. Not only do you get a great social life but apparently amongst all the drunken debauchery they even dish out degree's which means you have something to fall back on should the pilot option go nipples-up.

Knowing a few pilots under 25 I can safely say that on balance I have a far more active social life than them right now whilst working my 9-5 office job. It amazes me that one of them has so much going for him yet can't even pull a burd - apparently pilots are highly sought after property by the opposite sex - another myth destroyed! There is a lot of work involved once you get a flying job - type rating, line checks, killer shift patterns and much more besides which all transpire to make partying rather difficult for those I know who do airline flying. Obviously hangovers ain't tollerated on the flight deck but in the office it's hardly an issue.

Go to Uni.

VFE.

Lee Frost
24th Jun 2005, 20:29
HAs anYONE SeEN my CAPS loCK KEY?

alosaurus
25th Jun 2005, 21:15
DONT SHOUT OR NO ONE WILL LIKE YOU.

Loads of people under 25.

Loads of opportunity to pull if you are single.

Will get pleanty of friends but not the freedom of Uni.

Once you are established in an airline you will have more free time on your hands than most people earning what you earn.

No right or wrong answer...depends what you want

Jinkster
26th Jun 2005, 16:16
I'm under 25, 22 to be exact. During Flight School you will meet lots of friends....however very few women, its not university! (I didnt go to university but after visiting my friend at uni, loads of women there, none in flight school :(

spaceman1000
27th Jun 2005, 16:42
DO YOU WANT BE MY FRIEND???

how much do you give me?