PDA

View Full Version : Why were there Military Aircraft flying in Formation over Dublin Bay yesterday?

Omaha
23rd Jun 2005, 12:16
Now I'm not exactly a spotter but I couldn't help but notice a real treat over Dublin Bay while I was enroute to Greystones on the DART yesterday on my day off from work & a beautiful day it was too. :ok:

The only thing I bemoan about this lovely route is I'm heading the opposite direction from the airport so I don't get to see low flying aircraft from the train but I was in store for a much bigger treat as these planes flew in low over the sea & over the train not once but twice. :D

I noticed a total of seven aircraft, a large lead aircraft, appeared blue in colour, with the Irish flag painted on its underbelly followed by six small aircraft in close formation. Is this some sort of training exercise or what cause it's the sort of thing normally only witnessed at airshows or some major event & what type of aircraft were they?

aviate1138
23rd Jun 2005, 13:00
Omaha said in part....

Why were there Military Aircraft flying in Formation over Dublin Bay yesterday?
Now I'm not exactly a spotter but I couldn't help but notice a real treat over Dublin Bay while I was enroute to Greystones on the DART yesterday on my day off from work & a beautiful day it was too.

Aviate 1138 asks......

I hope you were going to eat at the Hungry Monk???
I hope it's still there! :)

Aviate 1138

Omaha
23rd Jun 2005, 13:06
Yes, my luv it is & tis a long time since I've eaten there. Unfortunately I partook of a Chinese in town & ate in Summerville in Greystones twice. :ok:

It's called 'Poppies', I'm sorry. Not as upmarket as 'The Hungry Monk'.

Now back to the aircraft, does anybody know? :confused:

23rd Jun 2005, 21:02
Thay were practicing for the Salthill airshow this sunday.

mini
23rd Jun 2005, 23:42
would guess that the "big" blue at the front was a C-135, the rest were prolly PC-9's

Omaha
24th Jun 2005, 12:05
Thanks mates, that would make sense. :ok:

The Salthill Airshow, is it any good? See it doesn't start until 3pm Sunday. Is it worth heading down for it from Dublin & back on the same day?

What time does it finish at?

Omaha
24th Jun 2005, 18:46
Anyone else here thinking of heading down on the 9am train from Dublin on Sunday for the show?

Duckbutt
24th Jun 2005, 19:44
I trust you are confident that there is no possibility of the the local Chinese selling feline based comestibles?

Omaha
25th Jun 2005, 20:19
Well obviously not :(

Hell I'm going on my own anyway.

Duckbutt

I haven't got the faintest idea what you are talking about. :confused:

See youse after the airshow. :ok:

Omaha
27th Jun 2005, 12:16
Well while watching the spectacular in Salthill I was wondering to myself why we don't have an airshow on the east coast over Dublin bay.

But wait for it! There is going to be. :D

An airshow is being planned for Bray on Sunday 21st August for the first time ever, mind you the line up is fairly limited yet but I'm sure the organisers are working very hard at expanding it.

Here's the link:

http://www.brayairshow.com/

Many thanks to the organisers of the Salthill Airshow for putting on such a brilliant show. Every display was fantastic, the setting of course was unbeatable, but mind you I have to say the Red Arrows incredible display was something special. :ok:

I expected to see the exact formation at the show I'd seen fly on my way to Greystones however both types of aircraft flew separate displays to my surprise. :confused:

Alternatively

If that's not your cuppa tea, maybe this will be in Cashel, Co. Tipperary on July 24th.

http://www.redbullairrace.com/

Omaha
22nd Aug 2005, 12:34
Well I enjoyed the Bray Airshow yesterday, well not as much as the Salthill one but I enjoyed it nevertheless. Was anyone else here at it? Unfortunately the weather did its very best to play havoc with the show, we weren't blessed with the weather the Salthill Airshow had which couldn't be beaten. When the Sikorsky helicopter was about to display a rescue winching a man onto an RNLI boat it was called away on a real rescue mission @ Killiney head leaving the commentator to talk & talk trying to fill in an interminable gap just after the first display which he very professionally managed to do.

Thankfully the Sikorsky returned to put on a terrific display & extraordinary gymnatics by the winchman at the end of the winch the whole length of the beach to a very appreciative crowd. :ok:

A great first, brave and mammoth effort by the organisers. Let's hope the show goes from strength to strength, will have more international acts & becomes a regular event on the calendar. :D