PDA

View Full Version : Victor Hotel...

TheFlyingSquirrel
23rd Jun 2005, 00:48
G'day ! Q for the Auzzie guys - is their any meaning behind the VH allocation to Auz or was it just the next in line to be allocated alphabetically by the International Telecoms brigade? Thanks.

TFS

NZLeardriver
23rd Jun 2005, 03:03
The link isnt working but just do a google search for your question VH allocation to Au and the first result tells you.

Oogle
23rd Jun 2005, 03:18
Doesn't it stand for Victor Hargraves?

Texdoc
23rd Jun 2005, 03:48
"The International Radiotelegraph Convention in Washington, USA, in 1927 produced a revised table of Nationality and Registration markings for aircraft and other radio call-signs. These recommendations were duly adopted by ICAN in June 1928.

The Commonwealth of Australia was allocated the prefixes VH, VI, VJ, VK, VL and VM. Since the Dominions and Colonies did not have a vote at ICAN until about 1929, the allocation of 'VH' was probably made arbitrarily.

These prefixes were allocated as follows:

VH - civil aircraft
VI and VJ - Coastal Radio Stations, which communicated with ships at sea and, in the early days, with aircraft
VK - Amateur Radio
VL and VM - military aircraft post WWII"

Heli-Ice
24th Jun 2005, 00:59
Oogle

No pun intented.

From an introvert's point, this might be the right explanation.

If you give the CAA a small chance, it must be the right explanation!

cl12pv2s
27th Jun 2005, 11:47
I did some research on this some time ago, but unfortunately can't find it anymore...so what I write now might be complete crap!

Anyway, if I remember rightly the V in 'VH' refers to Queen Victoria.

At the time when ICAO were doing the codes, British Commenwelth and Dependant Territories were assigned 'V?' designations.

This is strange however, as Queen Vic wasn't around when aviation started...maybe it was just out of respect.

Also for interest (I'm not 100% sure though), I believe that N-??? in the USA is after 'North Carolina', the state in which the Wright Brothers made their first flight. K???? for the US airports is allegedly based on Kittyhawk, which is of course the place of that famous flight.

cl12pv2s

SASless
27th Jun 2005, 14:14
One would think the symbol "$" would be in there somewhere....that is the universal requirement for flight.