PDA

View Full Version : Saving a Clip from RealPlayer

BLUE SKY THINKER
22nd Jun 2005, 23:01
All a bit beyond me this time of night. .....How do I save this video clip (http://www.lionelcharlet.com/films/hunter.ram) to hard drive? .....Doesn't seem to conform to the 'norms' of other players.

Thanks in anticipation.

BRL
23rd Jun 2005, 14:11
Hi there. You could right click the link in your first post then save the shortcut to your desktop. Double click it when you want to watch it but you must be online to do this, or, go to the page where the original film is, then right click on that, and save as, but I asume you have already done that. :)

CosmosSchwartz
23rd Jun 2005, 17:19
Play it, then go straight to your temporary internet files folder and you should find it there. Might be an idea to clear out the temp internet file folder first as there can be a lot of files there.

BLUE SKY THINKER
25th Jun 2005, 18:47
Thanks gents, but no luck.

It would appear that Realplayer is only designed to operate from bookmarked shortcuts, necessitating a fresh download each time (a bit tedious on dial-up). ...BRL; that was your inferrence, I think. ...CosmosSchwartz; have you ever tried that? ...RealPlayer temporary files have a mind of their own, unlike the Internet Explorer variety that hang around until used again or deleted. ...Just select the temporary file and watch a clip download. ...It self destructs and disappears the moment the Player is closed (!) ...I thought I was being very clever in making a copy and pasting elsewhere before it did, but it will have no truck with that either.

Ah well.....

FunkyMunky
26th Jun 2005, 16:29
Open the .ram in notepad;

You will see a link to here (http://www.lionelcharlet.com/films/hunter.rm) . Right click on that, save target as. :ok:

BLUE SKY THINKER
26th Jun 2005, 20:11
FunkyMunky.....

Thanks.

Excuse my ignorance but could you give me a slightly more step by step guide; not quite sure how I go about opening .ram in notepad? ...Do you mean the URL address, the RealPlayer temp file, or something else?

Your link downloaded a saveable file (for the first time), although only part of the clip.

BST

CosmosSchwartz
26th Jun 2005, 20:27
Don't close realplayer! This method usually works for me, but I admit not always. Maybe I'm just lucky!

FunkyMunky
28th Jun 2005, 21:02
Blue Sky;

The link to the original file (the one that plays in realplayer) is here (http://www.lionelcharlet.com/films/hunter.ram).

Right click this, and "Save Target as" or "Save Link As". This will create a file with the extension ".ram". Right click, select "open with" and choose notepad as your application. You will then see the contents of this file in notepad. In this case, the contents are a link to the full file. (I've already posted the link for you in the previous post, just right click it and save it. :)).

I'm not sure why only part of the clip would be downloading...the files you are downloading are the exact same as the ones realplayer should be using.