View Full Version : John Anderson

QSK?
22nd Jun 2005, 21:52
I've heard that John Anderson is expected to announce his resignation today as both Minister of Transport and National Party leader? Anybody else heard this?

Sunfish
22nd Jun 2005, 22:02
Who is Qantas going to appoint to replace him?:E

HotDog
22nd Jun 2005, 22:47
He has resigned and is moving to the back bench.

king oath
22nd Jun 2005, 22:58
A man has got to know his limitations

silversaab
22nd Jun 2005, 23:27
Wonder if Geoff Dixon will eventually give the "Minister for Qantas" a nice, cushy highly-paid job for all his hard work for them in the past?

Funny thing is, Channel 7 reported that one of the reasons he's stepping down is due to health issues, and that he's been told by his doctor to limit the amount of flying he does. So, say, a gift of free travel on QF for the rest of his life isn't going to be much use to him.

Oops, I think my cynicism is showing.

RENURPP
22nd Jun 2005, 23:37
No great loss.

He is also responsible for this airport security mess we now have, hope the next bloke is a little better. (Not holding my breath)

Any ideas on what disease he may have that would have a doctor suggest he limit his flying??

silversaab
22nd Jun 2005, 23:57
True enough. As an aviation expert he makes a good cattle farmer. No idea what the healtrh issue is, but I guess more will come out over the next couple of days.

Uncommon Sense
23rd Jun 2005, 00:07
In fairness probably a nice guy.

In reality an inadequate Transport Minister.

Whilst Vaile is the obvious new Nats leader, who will the Transport Minister be? Let us hope someone who sees through the vested interests better than Anderson has.

(I get the feeling this is related to the forthcoming 'everything must go' Telstra sale. Now if only they would sell off Howard on Ebay)

The Voice
23rd Jun 2005, 00:07
I wonder what skeleton is about to tumble out of his closet ... uh oh, my cynicism is showing ... :ugh:

Spotlight
23rd Jun 2005, 01:35
Anderson ranks right next to Charlie Jones in my mind. What a disaster. Good riddance!

5miles
23rd Jun 2005, 02:56
In his own words,
I have for some years suffered from a medical condition - a debilitating but thankfully benign prostate condition.

At least now we know what he really thinks of certain aviation personalities.

Redstone
23rd Jun 2005, 03:33
Good one 5miles, I like it.

Or perhaps a front bench colleague.......:}

king oath
23rd Jun 2005, 06:45
Media reports suggest a type of prostate cancer, but under control.

The timing may have something to do with Big Kimbo about to reshuffle the Labor shadow ministry.

No great loss to aviation.

flyingfox
23rd Jun 2005, 07:38
Let's all hope that the new Minister is not susceptible to one Richard Smith's rantings.

chief wiggum
23rd Jun 2005, 07:39
Farewell.... and F**K off!

Hempy
23rd Jun 2005, 07:46
Ah prostate kept giving him migranes ...

http://www.users.on.net/~drew.dickson/Aviation/anderson.jpg

jack red
23rd Jun 2005, 08:33
A damn good bloke and did a lot for the bushies. Will be sadly missed.

Who was Charly Jones ?

drKell
23rd Jun 2005, 09:11
In reply to someones question about why Drs don't want him to fly.

Its probly to reduce the radiation to his prostate so it doesn't become cancerous, or if it is already, get worse.

My 2 cents.

:)

triadic
23rd Jun 2005, 09:32
Charlie Jones MP

"Minister for Trains"

At the time, together with the Director of the "Department of Aviation" (Charles Halton (do a google search for info on him)) was a time which most of us that are still about would rather forget. It was tragic.

Charlie Jones (http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/parlment/hansart.nsf/V3Key/LA20030904049)

I remember a huge meeting at the Bankstown Town Hall one w/e which had many industry leaders speak. It ended with a vote of no confidence in Halton. It was the days when the DofA replaced the good old DCA. He had a noted dislike for everything that displayed the DCA logo. The story goes that he called workers out on a w/e once to remove a DCA sign on a fence at Tulla....!!

Pity the industry is no longer united like it was back then...

alidad
23rd Jun 2005, 11:01
prostate problems??????he may not be able to screw the missus but by golly he has done a damn fine (sic) job on the airspace...

Good riddance................

Raider1
23rd Jun 2005, 11:07
Cant imagine too many ex Ansett employees contributing to his farewell gift:D

Capcom
23rd Jun 2005, 13:40
2 down...........2 to go!:E

I gunna miss ya Lie-low John..http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/geno/asshole2.gif............

Dear Warren,http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/cwm/cwm/piss.gif

As I gaze into my crystal ball...........I see a refreshing new and sensible era of Transport administration.......
..............oh...........nope......sorry....... it is just a 'stool' left by the former turd obscuring my vision... :rolleyes: ...

That being the case..........http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/happy/thebirdman.gif .......in anticipation of more of the same :hmm:

RIVER1
23rd Jun 2005, 14:21
Great to see him go.What a wasted space.I remember how smug he was when AN went under and you would have to wonder why with the voters he was supposed to look after in the regional areas.His legacy lives on with QF now looking for saviours in SQ etc,Well done john

The Voice
3rd Jul 2005, 05:08
with thanks to the NT News ..

breaking news

Truss promoted in reshuffle

03jul05
AGRICULTURE Minister Warren Truss has been promoted to the transport portfolio in a Government reshuffle following the resignation of Deputy Prime Minister John Anderson from the frontbench.

Pinky the pilot
3rd Jul 2005, 07:14
And with the possible oncoming firefight that may be created by the Four Corners program tomorrow night things may indeed prove to be interesting.
As for the subject of this thread; Good riddance. Enjoy your big fat pension when you resign from Parliament and don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out!!:*

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

Uncommon Sense
3rd Jul 2005, 07:46
What is the bet a certain "Aviation Expert" will be making inappropriate "I told you so" type comments in the 'popular media' over the next few days trying to slice of some free publicity for his flawed agenda?

Woomera
3rd Jul 2005, 11:49
Yes, it looks like I gave you the "good oil" a week or two ago when I picked Warren Truss. Seems a good man. There may be hope yet!

Woomera

peuce
3rd Jul 2005, 22:34
From Warren Truss's web page. Couldn't help myself:

http://www.maff.gov.au/factsheets/index.html

Uncommon Sense
4th Jul 2005, 00:16
priceless!

---------------- ----------------------- --------------------

missy
6th Jul 2005, 04:25
Press release on AAP.
Anderson bows out with grace.
"Mr Anderson said he was proud of his achievements on Telstra" Nothing about aviation, nothing about aviation policy, nothing about aviation reform - just Telstra.

Philthy
6th Jul 2005, 14:36
I'd just like to add my bit to the chorus of salutations - good bye and good riddance...

gaunty
7th Jul 2005, 01:56
I've been known to swim against the tide before, so once more won't matter.

I think Anderson did as good a job as was possible given the circumstances and the size of his portfolio as well as being Deputy PM.

As one of his colleagues remarked "he was too much of a gentleman to be a politician, he didn't have enough mongrel in him"

We need more of those people not less, if our politicians are to do the job we ask of them.

The tragedy that we call Australian aviation regulation and service provision was not of his making. He may well have presided over it, but you can only work with what you've got.

How do you go about your portfolio, when you inherit a dysfunctional regulator that has had the Smith cohort tinkering under the bonnet for some decades, with his personal advocacy group stirring up the lumpen proletariat, driving them onto the guns with cynical rhetoric and self aggrandising polemic.

We forget that Transport also includes Marine, Rail and Road, they all seem to be able to get on with it, sorting and going forward without dilletante millionaire assistance. We can only thank our individual Gods that he hasn't bought a railroad or shipping line.
Then there is the Regional bit which basically includes everything not in the big cities. Basically humungous.

To suggest that he resigned for other than health reasons and the perfectly reasonable desire to spend time with a young family after such demanding public service is churlish at the very least.

At the very least he stuck his head up for public service and had the strength of his personal convictions to carry it through. It can't have been just for the money. :rolleyes:

Politics is the art of the possible, given the poisonous aviation evironment manufactured by narrow personal agenda cloaked in grand illusion for the benefit of the chattering classes, it's surprising we got this far.
Would we had the half billion or so dollars flushed down the sewer in pursuit we could have rebuilt the industry infrastructure and reequipped the fleet several times over.

On balance I believe the history books will be very kind to John Anderson with his main antagonists getting the court jester role.

It's called the BIG PICTURE dudes.:ok:

This is not a paid political advertisement and I vote Liberal:ouch:

Pharcarnell
7th Jul 2005, 03:18
Geez Gaunty! You swalla a Funk and Wagnell???

As the Colonel would say " You speak some mighty fine $4 words there boy!"