PDA

View Full Version : Skype, or not?

desert queen
22nd Jun 2005, 16:01
I know this has probably come up before, but please humour me: am having problems getting into the Skype website, especially SkypeOut and the actual account (to top up).

Does anybody know of a quick fix, or is this a regional idiosyncrasy? PMs welcome - thanks in advance.

ruserious
22nd Jun 2005, 16:10
Top up your account while down route, or go and visit someone at DIC, Gardens etc., that have un proxied access.
Once topped up , no problems using skype out.

Fox3snapshot
22nd Jun 2005, 16:39
Through the ITP press release came from Etisilat that they have legal grounds and obligation through International conventions to block Skype for PC to phone transanctions and similar, however PC to PC they allow under their "public legislation".

The long on the short of it...a crock of S$IT! Just another MEM (Middle East Moment!). "To Be Part of the WTO" they profess, members of the IMF they want to be...YEAH RIGHT!!!

The trick is, as mentioned, get a friend to send via email the latest setup for Skype and then on layovers etc. top up your account. If you just want to Skype (which most of us are doing in UAE/Oman/Doha/Bahrain etc.with amazing success) is getthe exexutable file sent to you so you can load it up then you are good to go. The firewall blocks the home site....George Orwall had an amzing concept in 1984!

If you want the program and ME based PM me and I will send you the copy I have which is working fine.

:ok:

desert queen
22nd Jun 2005, 18:25
Hi guys, thanks very much for the info, much appreciated.
Fox3 I have sent you a PM.

Regards,
DQ

Eddie_699
24th Jun 2005, 18:44
Hiya Lads

I'm from Oman and It's the same here skype.com is blocked by the internet provider here.

If you want to download the Skype programe click here to download it

Skype 1.3.0.51 Download (http://www.download.com/Skype/3000-2349_4-10409598.html?tag=lst-0-1)

Tell me if this one is working ..

Cheers

Eddie