PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Kruger

Airbus Girl
22nd Jun 2005, 15:15
Hi all.
I did do a search but couldn't find anything specific.
Looking at coming out to SA for a holiday in Jan and doing some flying.
Have 2 weeks and want to combine Cape Town-Kruger/safari-Victoria Falls.
I'm an airline pilot and have flown stacks of hours in the mountains and deserts of western USA. Well most of USA actually!
Can anyone offer recommendations? ie. best to go commercial flight Cape Town-Jo'burg then hire and maybe fly to a camp? Is it possible/ worth it? Also, what about flying up to the falls for a day or two. Again, is it worth it? Anyone know how long these trips would take in, say, a Piper Cherokee of some description.
Can aircraft be taken into Vic Falls, being that its a different country?
Or should I just stick to having a bit of a fly/ sightsee round Cape Town.
Wasn't planning on hiring a car but could do.
All ideas much appreciated!

nyathi
22nd Jun 2005, 16:15
Try HANKS AERO ADVENTURE at Lanseria International Airport near Johannesburg. Dont have their number but try the Lanseria Information Desk at 002711 659 2750! Hope this will help you!
Its definitely worth it and you wont be sorry. As far as I can remember they have a couple of Cessna 182's.:ok:

Sultan Ismail
23rd Jun 2005, 09:20
Airbus Girl check your map

This looks a very interesting trip, however to save you time and money consider the following:
There is not much to see between Jo'burg and Cape Town, when you have seen one mealie field from a PA-28 you have seen them all.
The scenerary around Cape Town is spectacular so get your self a 'plane at CT international and have fun.

The suggestion to contact Lanseria is good, there are others, but you can find the on the WWW.

Kruger (National Park) is a couple of hours out of Jo'burg (FALA, FAGC, FAGM) and Victoria Falls is a bit further in the opposite direction.

Victoria Falls is in fact between TWO countries and you would do well to aim for the correct one. Give you a clue, it begins with Z.

Not far from Jo'burg you will find Sun City, worth a couple of days to see the animals in the Pilanesberg Game Reserve, and a bit of gaming in the evening.

If you have flown in Arizona then expect similar in most of South Africa.

And finally, January is one of the hottest months, February is reputed to be the hottest, at 5,300 feet elevation FAGC can have a density altitude in excess of 9,00 feet on a good day. The thunderstorms will perfom daily at 5pm.

Have a great trip.

B Sousa
23rd Jun 2005, 13:24
As to Nyathis Post above: http://www.selfflysafari.com/