PDA

View Full Version : Buying Jet Hours

RightSeatRider
22nd Jun 2005, 13:05
I've seen lots of threads about self sponsored type ratings but none about buying experience on type.
I am 737 rated but have only about 150 hours on type. Unfortunately I got the sack shortly afterwards and am no longer current. I'm sure lots of people will tell me to quit moaning given my relativly high experience but believe me it's proven to be useless, well to me anyways.
So I'm looking to get current again. Any advice?
Is a few sessions in the sim and a new PCIR enough or should I dig deep, remortgage the shoebox and buy line hours?
And if so, who's selling them and how much for?
Is there anybody else out there in/been in a similar situation?

SEAMASTER
22nd Jun 2005, 19:36
I THINK YOUR MAD EVEN THE WORST OF THE WORST IRISH 737 OPERATORS WOULD GIVE YOU A JOB WITH THAT TIME ! WE ALL KNOW WHO I MEAN !!

RoyHudd
22nd Jun 2005, 21:50
Why did you get the sack? If your previous company fell over, then you have good cause to be optimistic about another job soon. Aviation is full of such examples. Good luck, anyhow.

spaceman1000
23rd Jun 2005, 16:50
another job soon?

can you be more specific on the word "soon"?

Craggenmore
24th Jun 2005, 11:08
Ryanair will look at you if 737 type rated and have +100 hours, which you do........

Please don't pay for hours and line training.

Half decent airlines will ask you if you ever have at interview. If you are forced to admit to it then you have no chance. The next person will be in your place. Agreed some Airlines wont care but you probably wont want to work for those ones anyhow.

hixton
24th Jun 2005, 12:15
what a load of piffle!
experience is experience

Craggenmore
24th Jun 2005, 12:24
Agreed some Airlines wont care

swaairways
30th Jun 2005, 12:06
The best experience seems to be experience in getting in employers faces and making your case known.

Seems very little difference between 150 hours and 250 hours when the airline will want to line train you into their sop's anyway.
I reckon a steady amount of sim time keeping the skills up would be far more beneficial, especially when it comes to a sim check, than a month of flying the mcp and autopilot with maybe 30-40 landings to your name.

So has anyone any advice on how to get your face known? What's too pushy? What's acceptable?

wheelbarrow
1st Jul 2005, 21:32
Do not pay.

However, flying the "MCP" and "Autopilot" in a real aircraft is worth 100 times any sim hours..... irrespective of what some may think.

Real flying hours are the currency of any First Officer... and indeed and Junior Captain.