PDA

View Full Version : ALAE what are the benefits ?

ragspanner
14th Mar 2001, 22:29
I'm thinking of joining said organisation does anyone have any pos/neg's that they would like to share to help me make up my mind ?.

spannersatcx
15th Mar 2001, 00:40
Have a look at ALAE Website (http://www.lae.mcmail.com)

Yes I would recommend it, if you want to know more ring or e-mail them for a chat.
£52/year.

jetfueldrinker
15th Mar 2001, 01:06
I'll sit on the fence for this one, only to say that a bloke who joined our company was a member of ALEA, but when he needed union representation, he, to his dismay, discovered that he was the only ALEA member in our organisation. However, the AEEU rep did help out as much as if the bloke was a fully paid up member.

So the burning question:- what has ALEA achieved for the aircraft maintenance industry? I know that they campaign tirelessly on our behalf, but what have they done and what are their plans for the future?

So I am lead to believe, the RAeS is surposed to be our professional body, but as far as I am concerned, that organisation is not really wirth joining unless you are management or in research.

So, as they say, the decision is yours.

spannersatcx
15th Mar 2001, 17:30
In order to have union reprsentation, the majority of people must be members for the co to have to recognise it by law. So the more people that join and become members then you will be able to get representation. As good! as the AEEU is they are not dedicated to our profession.

troubleshooter
17th Mar 2001, 00:47
I have heard that British Midland are the only UK airline that has accepted the ALAE as a recognised union and as such negotiates with them.
Everywhere else, there are small numbers of licenced engineers that belong for several reasons: Legal support, information for licenced engineers, job adverts and their tireless campaign for the rights of the LAE.
Hope this helps.
TS

time-ex
17th Mar 2001, 01:10
I notice that the AEEU is putting up promotional posters in my workplace, why you should join AEEU, this maybe because of the impending merger vote of AEEU and MSF. It might be in response to the growing interest in ALAE (I wish) but the posters are very persuasive, very high quality and not opposed by management. In contrast ALAE promotional stuff isn't very inspiring and has a habit of being there one day gone the next. Having said that, why not belong to both (like me) at least you get the advice to suit your situation. It is all a bit of a joke really as the AEEW has almost achieved single union status here. I wonder if the human rights legislation can stop an employer insisting you belong to a "recognised" union?