PDA

View Full Version : Ag Flying

Pac Rotors
18th Feb 2001, 13:52
Just wondering if there were any ag operators out there and if so what sort of work do you do and with what type of helos.

Pac Rotors
20th Feb 2001, 08:26
So where is the 300 flying out of. I notice from the shape of the tanks it has to be a US based machine. Helos that work ag downunder use different types of tanks. These look like Isolair tanks??

PR http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

Larry
20th Feb 2001, 08:37
Pac
North of LA in Ventura County at Camarillo Airport are a Ag 206B, Bell47G and a 47 Tomcat.Aspen Helicopters also have a couple 206Bs with Ag gear out of Oxnard Airport.Have pics of all but the Tomcat.
They work the strawberry and onion fields
in the area. http://vortex.med.utoronto.ca/B47/images/robinson/47GSpray/G_01.jpg

Aheli
20th Feb 2001, 08:52
We operate 1 B206 on the West Coast, New Zealand. We are mainly doing Forestry, but we also do farming work, just returned from a months spraying on NZ's Largest High Country Station, Molesworth.
Spraying Broom up to 5000ft!
Looking to expand in the future as I have recently come on board with a PPL (H) and hopefully commercial by next season
Really like the magazine Pac Rotors.

Aheli
20th Feb 2001, 09:04
One down here on the West Coast, South Island.
Operate a Bell 206B
We are currently working Nth Canterbury Spraying in the High Country

Pac Rotors
20th Feb 2001, 09:10
Larry, can you send me postal details for the smaller ag operators up there so I can send them the magazine. I have already been there at Aspen Helicopters. In fact I did some shots with their Mercy Air 222 out on one of the oil rigs, some set up medical shots and used the Longranger as camera ship. Rick Throckmorton was pilot.

Had a great time there. Will post some of the pics when I get back home. Heading off to Spokane to shoot some EMS machines for a few days.

Anderson Heli, thanks for the comments about the magazine, we are continuining to try and make it better issue by issue.

Aheli
20th Feb 2001, 09:25
Ae you considering doing an Article on ag Ops in the US Pac?
It would be interesting to see what other operators are up to, ideas etc.
Do you have any pics of Nth American ag Operators?

Pac Rotors
20th Feb 2001, 09:35
I have been touching base with as many ag ops as possible so I can plan on visiting them. It has been hard trying to get contact details for them but if Larry or anyone else can help it would be appreciated.

Want to try and get in touch with the smaller operators and not just the big ones. The one man bands have a right to good press, not just the big boys.

EMS_Gyrocopter
22nd Jun 2005, 05:15
I'd like a few opinion's on what some people think of R22's being used for Ag training, I was interested in doing an Ag rating and the company i approached said that's their helicopter for Ag training, these guys fit full spray gear and everything.

Good Idea or nar?

Granny
22nd Jun 2005, 06:13
The R22 is an excellant aircraft to do an Ag rating in, however if you are doing it in NZ as I suspect, dont use the training operator based in Wanganui, otherwise your Ag rating will consist of flying up and down the aerodrome., learning how to spray turn and nothing on double pass , overlap etc etc and I bet you wouldnt even get to fly on an actual spray job. Go to an Ag operator that operates an R22 commercialy on a day to day basis, that way you will be trained by a competent Ag pilot who is current and has a DGPS fitted. There are a couple in the South Island.

EMS Mini 500
22nd Jun 2005, 06:35
wouldn't a student, instructor, spray gear and chemical be over the R22 MAUW

EMS R22
22nd Jun 2005, 21:54
Have a yarn to Frank , he thinks quite highly of R22's doing Ag work!:ok:

Hughes500
18th Jan 2006, 19:37
Guys/Gals
Help required here, whats the best spray kit for a 300 or 500, as I am looking to purchase ?

Eldon
18th Jan 2006, 23:42
It depends on the type of spraying you're looking to do.

I fly MD500's for a company in the mid-west doing powerline spraying.

PM me and I'll put you in touch with our guys that know the spray gear inside out.

From the pilot side...it seems to work as good as anything with minimal hassle.