PDA

View Full Version : Portsmouth for the weekend?

6foottanker
21st Jun 2005, 15:43
Having spent a very pleasant morning making lots of noise practicing flypasts over Portsmouth and the Solent. :E Since I won't be flying on the real events at the end of the month, was wondering if anyone could recommend a good viewing place in and around the city, having never been there but for the train station.

airborne_artist
21st Jun 2005, 15:56
This page (http://www.festivalofthesea.co.uk/wo_military_displays.aspx) suggests for "Operation Swift Strike":

"The best place to view the display will be on any of the visiting vessels berthed along Fountain Lake Jetty and the area of North Corner. There will be a detailed map in the Festival programme.

You are advised to secure your viewing position in good time before the 2.15pm start time."

FLJ should be easy to find once you are in the Dockyard.

For the review and flypast itself you might want to be on Southsea Common here (http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=462500&Y=100000&width=500&height=300&gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=gb&db=freegaz&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&localinfosel=&kw=&inmap=&table=&ovtype=&zm=0&scale=50000&multimap.x=387&multimap.y=292)

denachtenmai
22nd Jun 2005, 06:37
The best way to view Portsmouth is in the rear view mirror:E
Den ducks under the parapet with steel hemet on!

vecvechookattack
22nd Jun 2005, 07:17
ha ha....good post. He's spot on as well...

Widger
22nd Jun 2005, 07:38
VecVec,

So Hells Town is a whole lot better is it? Oh Summer is here let's sit in the Fog shall we? Or we might just go shopping in Nesbit Street.

AllTrimDoubt
22nd Jun 2005, 08:47
By far the best viewing posit will be in front of the telly - pref with another channel on!

(PS: IFOS car pass/entrance pass for sale!)

vecvechookattack
22nd Jun 2005, 11:32
Hells town is a lot lot better than DS City. Weve got a boating lake.

Widger
22nd Jun 2005, 13:07
Southsea has a boating lake as well and Joannas is better than Lady Street or whatever it is called now. A lot more pubs (only just) and it isn't DS city anymore as the Tricorn has gone! Oh and one other thing....No Pingers in Pompey!

:p :ok:

spinstallaeropfl
22nd Jun 2005, 14:27
How about Spinnaker Tower... is it finished yet..?!

SSAP

AllTrimDoubt
22nd Jun 2005, 14:32
What do you think?

Si Clik
22nd Jun 2005, 18:24
I work every day in DS city - lucky moi.

I shall view the whole thing on TV from west of the tamar.

From my experiences so far the traffic will be 'interesting' to say the least.

Si

:hmm:

6foottanker
22nd Jun 2005, 18:37
Maybe I'll just avoid the place after all....too many navy types, if you know what i mean. I can just take a plate of going-off prawns, some salty water and a crate of lager, and go and sit outside with my telly. Same effect, me thinks!

Widger
23rd Jun 2005, 08:19
I'm thinking of jumping in me old Cessna and going and having a Gander from above, should get a marvellous view of the ship's and fireworks. Might even do an approach to the CDG!

:sad: :sad: :sad: :ooh: :ooh: :ooh:

Dockers
23rd Jun 2005, 10:16
sorry to disappoint - joannas has been shut for some months now

Regie Mental
23rd Jun 2005, 12:16
Joanna's was the only nightclub where the bouncers tried to talk me out of going in - "you sure you know what it's like sir? You do and you still want to go in?". So where do all the skate bait go now?