PDA

View Full Version : Im looking for an edge

skyflash
21st Jun 2005, 15:40
Hello all,

Having read the forum for a while now , the standard theme seems to be a high number of talented people going for that very rare job at the end of a very expensive tunnel. I, like thousands of others, have wanted to fly sice I was a small child and its my dream. ( please keep reading, im not going to ask the standard "how do i get there?" question) Ive done an RAF flying Scholarship and was with the UAS so again , as many others , have the flying bug.

My long winded intoduction brings me to my point. What "activities" do I need to start doing now, in order to give me an edge over all of the other guys? Given that we will all have the same/similar flying qualifications and similar exam results. What specific "extra curricular" activities, if any, will make me stand out. Im doing Charity work , sport and the usually bumf but would a management course or business course be of any use to me? Specific examples would be much appreciated. I am just looking to plan ahead so if I ever get an interview, I have a little something extra to offer.

Thanks in advance

AMiller
21st Jun 2005, 16:21
Apply to CTC and be yourself at the interview stages

Alex Whittingham
21st Jun 2005, 16:31
I hope you're not doing charity work just so it looks good on the CV. Changes are that, if you are, you'll be rumbled in short order. The 'something extra' does not come from arranging your CV to tick all relevant boxes it's more about you as a person.

I agree 100% with AMiller, most importantly be yourself.

In the long term, and if you have a few years to spare, do an MBA.

skyflash
22nd Jun 2005, 07:58
Thanks Guys,

Im looking into the CTC scheme and its certainly something I will be applying for. With regards to Charity work. ive always done work for charity from collections with the ATC through to arranging "its a knock out " tournements for a childrens charirty. Im also running the Great North Run for children with Leukaemia in a Mr tickle outfit - odd but true. Its not something im doing to make my CV look better , although i guess it did come over that way in my post. I was just wondering if there was anything extra I could do.

Righto, be myself it is then.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply

ATP_Al
22nd Jun 2005, 14:26
Probably the biggest lesson i've learnt since I got into aviation is that no-one really knows what you have to do to get a flying job, otherwise everyone would get one straight away!

Don't try to second guess what the airlines want, it's far easier to just be yourself :ok:

Al

skyflash
22nd Jun 2005, 15:05
Thanks Al.

I'm not really trying to second guess what the airlines are after , just wondering if there is more that i can do. It is the non flying side of being a pilot that I would be looking to show evidence of.

It all seems a long , long and expensive way off at the moment so i appreciate all advice given so far.

Thanks again for the reply .