PDA

View Full Version : BALPA in or out?

Bluebaron
21st Jun 2005, 14:07
I've been employed for 2 years now with a good outfit and am considering joining BALPA.

However at over £400pa it seems a bit steep. Alright discounted in the first 2 years and some tax concessions.

Obviously there will be those of you who cry that other people are paying for my good T&C's etc. But as they are already good then won't most of my subs go to help other airlines? (it that bad for the industry? probably not?)

I am generally against trade unions but feel that with a command on the horizon then it might be a good bet.

As an F/O with a young family to support etc etc is it worth it?

:confused: BB

Human Factor
21st Jun 2005, 14:22
There are various legal protections available (although similar protection is also available from other sources) which are invaluable in case of an incident (or your company turning on you).

You don't say which company you work for (as is your prerogative). Suffice to say, if BALPA is the recognised negotiator, it can be useful simply to hear what's going on with regard to T&Cs and/or pay deals, etc.

I suppose the fundamental question is this. How much is your licence worth to you? For £400pa, I would think of it as an extra layer of insurance.

CanAV8R
21st Jun 2005, 16:05
Baron,

I have joined a company recently that regonizes BALPA. Having been involved with outfits that did not, I came to the conclusion it was a no brainer to join. As HF said £400 a year is not much to pay for security and a real inside view on whats happening with contracts etc.

As a group they are strong and in companies with large memberships, they are heard and respected.

Enough said.

Up to you really but if the ****e hits the fan you will wish you were in the club!

The Big Easy
21st Jun 2005, 19:57
No brainer, got to be in!

TBE.

On standby
21st Jun 2005, 20:08
If the company recognises BALPA, then your probably better off being in it. If not join the IPF at £11.00 per month, or TGWU, or get your own legal expences insurance.

BALPA is not the be all and end all (I am a BALPA member).

Gin Slinger
22nd Jun 2005, 12:12
You will prevent the impression of being a free loader.

MAX
22nd Jun 2005, 15:52
prevent the impression of being a free loader

Cr*p reason to join, especially when there are "paid up" members in our company who went strike breaking (edited instead of the S word) in Oz back in '89. Who cares what they think?

MAX:cool:

acbus1
22nd Jun 2005, 17:11
In my experience BALPA are very weak. Seems to be a different story with regard to BA, but when facing up to other airlines......well, they don't do too good a job IMHO.

Legal Expenses Insurance is much cheaper and, from my own experience once again, they're more willing/more likely to offer legal support than BALPA. I've seen this occur in other cases.

Not to mention the horrendous membership fee.

My vote ----- out!

JW411
22nd Jun 2005, 19:29
I have organised my own Legal Protection over the last 15 years. It costs me about £125 per annum for £250,000 of lawyer. The advantage (apart from cost) over BALPA is that I am guaranteed to get help as opposed to whether or not BALPA thinks that I might have a case.

I used to be a BALPA member but on the two occasions that I actually asked for help they were as much use as tits on a bull.

Dan Winterland
23rd Jun 2005, 06:53
I joined BALPA and when my company had their backs against the wall and the pilots needed their help, they delegated everything to the company council who are good chaps, but at best only enthusiastic amateurs. Consequently, the pilots didn't get a deal as good as they should have. And in my case, they were argueing that I should be made redundant! Fine loyalty after banking my 1%.

If you're with BA, join. However, other airlines could be better served by BALPA. Perhaps BALPA should be re-named the British Airways Line Pilot's Accociation as that is where their main interest lies. Just have a read of 'the Log' to see this is true.

If I was to work in the UK again, I wouldn't join unless I was in BA. I would go for IPA and TGWU.

Ice Man
23rd Jun 2005, 06:53
I agree totally with what JW411 has said. I have also needed the help of BALPA and their legal department on two occasions and they have been completely useless.

Just what are we paying our subscriptions for. Every time you have a problem, they ask you to contact one of the pilots in the council, who happen to be unpaid volunteers flying busy rosters!!!.

Why are Balpa leaving pay negotiations to these unpaid volunteers, why are their expert negotiators not acting on our behalf. After all, we are paying their salaries?.

Piltdown Man
23rd Jun 2005, 09:24
BALPA are only as strong as their members. Having an "el whizzo" negotiator won't guarantee a RPI plus 50% wage rise and six days off per week. Unfortunately we have to accept that we live in the real world. For example, we have too many muppets who will pay for type ratings and work for free - which removes some of the bargaining tools (read big sticks) that negotiators used to pocess. But we must stick together to negotiate. Only by doing so can we can squeeze as many eggs as is possible from the goose that lays them. IMHO BALPA membership is the best way of doing that - as amateurish as it may seem at times.

MrAnon
23rd Jun 2005, 13:13
Just for reference: BALPA give you unlimited legal fees covereage. The IPA give you £10,000. Which will get you about 10mins with a decent lawyer. (You can purchase more cover if you want - alternatively you could join BALPA and get it for free).

No legal coverage is 'unconditional'. All insurance companies will need to be sure that there is a case to be had before paying out. The Idiot Pilots' Assoc don't make this clear, but then again, they are the Idiot's PA.