View Full Version : Visa for 4 day course?

21st Jun 2005, 00:31
I hope someone can help. I am wanting to do a 4 day ATP course. I have researched the TSA, and as I hold an FAA Multi Commercial already, I will not need the TSA clearance.

However nowhere can I find if I need a visa for this. Some schools say yes, some say no.
Can anyone tell me for sure?

21st Jun 2005, 18:14
Ok....i could be wrong but here's my slant.

If you are looking to get a rating / certificate then yes, you need a visa. but if your only doing the ATP course and not the exam at this time, then I think you can just use a visitors visa.

Keygrip might be the man to answer this one?

22nd Jun 2005, 14:41

Since you are training, and it's not recurrent you do need TSA approvel.

When you go on business there, the Visa Waiver Program may be allright.

Visa negative , TSA affirm


22nd Jun 2005, 18:13
Don't quite agree with the post. Visa waiver only allows you to do business or tourist. If you enroll in a training program you will need a student visa. Wether you finish (get the check ride) is rather secondary as you are training and enrolled in a program. That would also go if you go with a friend who is an instructor and train - in which case he has to make sure you have the proper documentation.
In short: VISA - YES
TSA Clearance - YES

22nd Jun 2005, 21:39
The TSA has further interpreted the definition of "flight training" to only apply to training for a recreational, sport pilot, private pilot certificate, multiengine rating (at any level), or instrument rating (does not include recurrent training).

AOPA about TSA Rule (http://www.aopa.org/tsa_rule/#clarifications)

Not sure about the visa, but you do NOT need TSA approval, as training for ATP is not considered flight training.

23rd Jun 2005, 10:34
TSA definitly no.
Visa I am still unsure. Rang the consulate, paid my money, only to be told we are not sure. Call the USCIS (immigration department or something) who are also not sure and who said to call the consulate.

I am trying to follow their rules and play their game, but they do not make it easy.

23rd Jun 2005, 15:32
I stand corrected on the TSA issue but you still can't enroll in a flight school for a training course with the visa waiver. Bottom line you notice how unsure people are about this process and you don't want to end up with an immigration official who interprets the rules differently and then denies you entry. Its a pain in the A :mad: and we are doing a good job killing the industry but when it comes to immigration error on caution...get the student visa and if that was too much or you didnt need it you can still do the training and don't have to worry.

23rd Jun 2005, 18:43
visa waiver is OK,
B1/B2 visa is OK,
no TSA required as you are already a FAA commercial pilot.
it is just a small upgrading and you know already to fly for the FAA.

Now, if you do a rating over 12500lbs, you need TSA approval.

enter as a visitor, go in a small airport, find a freelance cfi and rent an aircraft, and pass your ATP checkride.

Good luck!

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1