PDA

View Full Version : Ab-initio Training in South Africa?

Grant 09R
20th Jun 2005, 20:41
I'm pretty much going down the route of carrying out my training in South Africa through to SA IR/CPL ME. To be honest the financial implications are the main reason I'll be doing this as well as having a South African girlfriend.

In terms of converting the qualifications to JAA approved ratings will I save much money( I know the flight tests in the UK would cost the same with/without the prior experience)?

Additionally, can anyone provide constructive feedback with their thoughts on carrying out the qualifications in SA only to convert at a later stage also studying the ATPL ground course in the UK? I've heard very mixed feedback and would like some more, even if again it's mixed!

Your feedback would be much appreciated.:ok:

birdlady
21st Jun 2005, 15:23
Hi Grant,

By all means come over here to do the PPL and your hour building. My recommendation is not to do the CPL here and then convert as it wont really save you any money. If your intention is to come over here to work for awhile to build up more hours - its a good idea but not really practicle. There are not very many jobs here for low houred pilots and if there are they usually go to locals as its very hard to get a work permit. Whilst doing your hour building, you could do a distance learning course for your ATP's. Ive heard Bristol's course is very good. If you would like a bit more info I suggest you try www.avcom.co.za

:ok: :ok:

Grant 09R
22nd Jun 2005, 18:01
Thanks Birdlady. That's very useful to hear. I will keep in mind the CPL stuff and perhaps build hours post PPL and return to the UK for CPL and then the ATPL exams. Thanks for the link.;)