PDA

View Full Version : Belfast International - what a shambles

WHBM
20th Jun 2005, 17:21
Came through BFS yesterday evening, must take the prize for disorganisation on the terminal management side.

Most of the passenger information screens were stuck with an Internet Explorer error message splatted across them ! It would appear from the frozen clock visible on the bottom line that this had happened about 0945 and had just not been attended to since.

Despite this nobody had any wits to do any additional announcements.

The buffet before security, which has been commented on adversely here before, has gone from bad to worse, and any reasonable airport management would have got rid of whoever the contractor is long ago. A filthy, mismanaged facility selling dried-out overpriced items. They must have put all the food out early in the morning. I shan't comment on the IQ of the staff on duty there, who were managing to sell things with no relevant cutlery then available to eat them with ! "Nope, haven't got none".

Presumably the airport manager doesn't work on Sundays.

Did I travel with a "low cost carrier ?" Yes. But did I pay over £230 return from London, buying the day before ? Yes. So the excuse of "oh, you're all shell-suit oiks who like it this way" doesn't apply.

BELHold
20th Jun 2005, 18:25
"The buffet before security, which has been commented on adversely here before, has gone from bad to worse, and any reasonable airport management would have got rid of whoever the contractor is long ago. A filthy, mismanaged facility selling dried-out overpriced items"

Given the fact that you already new this facility to be mentioned before as being sub standard I find it hard to believe you did'nt wait and try one of the many Airside facilities.

N.Ireland and particularly the Antrim area was subject to some quite spectacular adverse weather late Sat night, actually resulted in the domestic arrivals hall being flooded, the Airport did its best and kept things moving however I wouldn't be suprised if this had something to do with the monitors being down.

I also presume that you didn't complain at the time to the buffet manager given that you went ahead and looked for cutlery.

jamesbrownontheroad
20th Jun 2005, 18:30
Even on good days, the provision of arrivals/departures information at BFS is sporadic: I don't think I've ever passed through without some problem arising from screens that haven't been updating, haven't cleared long departed flights or haven't shown gate numbers (or correct gate numbers). I'd forgive the ground staff who see off my WW flights if they appeared to be stressed or overworked; usually they just appear to lack the initiative that can solve problems as they arise, reassure passengers and keep things running smoothly.

Would anyone there (is it Aviance?) care to comment on staffing levels - are they sufficient, and is training up to scratch?

*j*

trolleydolly737
21st Jun 2005, 00:50
BFS definatley gets my vote as one of the worst airports I've passed through as crew and as a passenger! They seem to be throwing money at it left, right and centre, but it never seems to get any better! It's layout is awful, a mish mash just thrown together any ol' how! The security is a joke, securtiy staff are arrogant and, quite frankly, don't have a clue! It's the only airport that I've been to that you can't get out of, yet alone into (due to stupid security rules!!!) And as for aircrew not being allowed to access the terminal building directly from the car park with luggage, how daft is that!!!! How many dollies do you know with no trollies?!! They treat fellow airport workers like "scum" and I've faced their "couldn't give a damn" and "jobsworth" attitide many a time! At the end of the day I realise we ALL have a job to do, but why are "fellow" airport workers treated as the brain dead terrorsits that we're not! As for the staff car park, when oh when, are BIAL going to realise that you need a car park with enough spaces for 2005's staff levels, not 1975's!!! All I can say is BIAL really do need to think about a few issues and sort them out... as a "national gateway" it's more like a "stable door!"

Bang Or West
21st Jun 2005, 09:17
Why bother...perfectly good, virtually brand new, hassle free airport about 15 minutes down the road, happy helpful staff and flights to London that aren't crawling with the back end of the worst of the Rathenraw massive!

WHBM
21st Jun 2005, 11:12
I also presume that you didn't complain at the time to the buffet manager given that you went ahead and looked for cutleryThere was no management on duty, of course. The burger flippers had been left to their own devices.

ALLMCC
21st Jun 2005, 12:50
Strange how none of the usual suspects aren't leaping to the defence of BFS - however, now that I'm registering my wholehearted agreement with all of the comments made, no doubt there will be the usual torrent of abuse hurled at me!

Bang or West's post hits the nail on the head perfectly!! The message is clear - if you need to travel to/from Belfast, use BHD - you know it makes sense!

jamesbrownontheroad
21st Jun 2005, 13:00
They seem to be throwing money at it left, right and centre, but it never seems to get any better!

That's because the only place the money is being thrown at is retail. Notice how when you go through security, what is the first thing you see? Well placed / large departure screens? Maybe some prominent signage? How about a window so you can see the planes?

Nope. A cavernous duty free shop and a Starbucks.

When you get down to the 'international' pier (or if you arrive there - I hate to think what all our new American visitors will think when they step of CO's New York service), you get slung back in time to an nineteen-eighties regional airport with faded threadbare carpet, and cheap/knackered fixtures and fittings.

I suppose it gets the pax on the planes quicker...

*j*

PS... and one more thing - if I have to eat another overpriced, dry, tasteless 'hand crafted' sandwich under the six-photo high photo of N.I's only 'celebrity' chef and his gurning missus again I swear next time I'll be swimming to England. Or using BHD. :p

eastern wiseguy
21st Jun 2005, 13:52
Hi Allan

how none of the usual suspects aren't leaping to the defence of BFS

let me be the first to correct your english.Double negatives are never good if you are trying to make a point. Keep up.

The reason,I suspect, that none of the "usual suspects" are saying anything is perhaps we agree. There is a lot of work going on at the moment and I hope things improve.No-one forces anyone to eat sandwiches from any concession.The purpose of the shops are to generate revenue.The airport is not there to supply a view of the aircraft for JBOTR despite his protestations.(I barely have one of those:ok: :ok: )

Flying from BHD has problems inherent in that ,we all know what they are,we have debated long and hard the issues.

The MAJORITY of people flying to and from NIplc have been offered a LIMITED choice from the airports and have voted with their feet and wallets and chosen BFS . The services offered to these passengers needs to improve but given the massive increase in passengers over the past few years and the generally poor state it started from,things are on the way up.

Mind you I am saying that only as a member of a company which is SUBCONTRACTED to BFS airport and therefore my opinions count for little.

Avioraptor was a poster who seemed to have the inside track in the past ...perhaps s/he could throw a little light?

hassle free airport about 15 minutes down the road,

Get there early it closes at 2130 ....

Edited 'cos Allan does it

jamesbrownontheroad
21st Jun 2005, 14:51
No-one forces anyone to eat sandwiches from any concession.

Fair point. I think I just get nervy because of the way the two of them are smirking at us. I'm sure I saw him once getting onto a flight at BHD once... perhaps that's why :)

*j*

Kestrel_909
21st Jun 2005, 20:24
Parts of BFS remind me of Larne:E

Admittedly it needs a lot of work :(

apaddyinuk
22nd Jun 2005, 03:00
Well think about it people, When it comes to major longhaul and european markets, they only competition BFS has is DUB and lets face it....I think I would rather battle my way through BFS, at least it doesnt take a million hours to battle through security!!!

vortexadminman
23rd Jun 2005, 14:23
i like BFS. o of course have had the odd occasion where security is backed up to Belfast town centre and no body gives a **** about it. but in general especially for meeting people, I like the place. Show me a UK airport that doesn't need work and Ill eat all those mouldy sandwhiches!

Standard Jet Dep
24th Jun 2005, 15:37
Its not just BFS its all british airports. Bloody terrible ie LHR what a welcome that is to the country. All authoritys need to get there act together cuase i think its embarrassing.

Brgds

SJD

nimand
22nd Jul 2005, 21:57
you are all very quick to slag bfs off - but i'd like to know what airports you are all based in because in my experience they are all quite dingy and i have yet to come up with one any better. just the ohther day flew home from edi took 1 hour to get through security and their eating facilities were very poor for all the time we are there before we depart anyway

eastern wiseguy
23rd Jul 2005, 12:27
Nimand..

BFS ...your serve

Buster the Bear
23rd Jul 2005, 13:51
Do a search for my postings related to TBI's multi million pound terminal revamp at Luton. PlasterBoard Land!

http://static.zsl.org/images/width150/bear-04-web-305.jpg

jabird
24th Jul 2005, 17:57
Coming from half way between the portakabins of CVT and BHX, I'd have to say that the terminal at BFS is one of the few in the UK I'd rate as "even worse" than CVT.

At least our problem is only a temporary one. BHD is space age in comparison to BFS.

Nothing against the staff at any of the above - just the terminal building itself.