PDA

View Full Version : Notice Periods

Blue Danube
25th Apr 2001, 13:29
Just a thought, how much notice do you have to give your employer when you leave?
I've heard examples from 7 days to 3 months, what's your experience?

HeliEng
25th Apr 2001, 14:38
I had to give one calander month. It was the longest month of my life!!!

All I wanted to do was get out and get to my new job, and I wasn't give any decent jobs because everyone knew I was leaving and didn't trust me.

What they didn't realise was that I am not like that at all, and put 110% into everything whether I want to do it or not.

Have never heard of anyone being asked to give 3 months though, that sounds a bit steep!!!

'Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue!'

BISH-BASH-BOSH
25th Apr 2001, 15:42
In responce to your question, i have just been offered two positions within the uk as a lae within large airlines, both contracts of employment stipulate a three month notice period is required by the employer after succesful completion of the probation period.
This seems to be a new thing in the UK.

Genghis the Engineer
25th Apr 2001, 15:45
3 months.

4Rvibes
25th Apr 2001, 17:45
I have a month which seems fair to both parties involved

chunky56
25th Apr 2001, 17:50
A month for every year served up to a maximum of 10 weeks.

troubleshooter
26th Apr 2001, 00:07
3 Months, I cannot believe you have to work 3 months notice. What is the reason for 3 months, surely a month is reasonable for both employee and employer?
Weekly paid, even better, only 1 week, but thats all gone, these days.
TS

Blacksheep
26th Apr 2001, 08:56
Three months too. Its in my written contract. The idea is to stop you resigning before the end of your contract; but why would I do that? I'd lose my end of contract gratuity payment :) Swings and roundabouts.

Through difficulties to the cinema

Cat1234
26th Apr 2001, 10:21
Two weeks, though in the past I have pushed my tool box out the door at very short notice!

Clever Bloke
26th Apr 2001, 12:18
My BA contract states 7 days......nice

morroccomole
26th Apr 2001, 14:11
My contract states 3 months, but people have been released within 1 month

Inspector Gadget
27th Apr 2001, 13:20
Two months at my place. Although short notice periods are good when you want to leave, they are not too good if you've been made redundant. I've found in the past that one month is'nt really long enough to find the job you really want. Most companies take 2-3 weeks to get back to you after your initial contact, and by the time you've gone through the interviews, medical etc you are living off your savings.
2-3 months seems about right to me.

Blue Danube
27th Apr 2001, 15:13
Thanks folks, I am about to leave the RAF (With Avionic Licences I should add) and was wondering what to expect.
I was thinking about continuing in the aviation industry but I'm having serious doubts and am going to look at other areas.

red 5
27th Apr 2001, 23:16
3 months, large uk charter airline.

riche71
30th Apr 2001, 01:03
Have a look at www.i-resign.com (http://www.i-resign.com) it is serious and funny.Look at resignation letters.