PDA

View Full Version : Queenstown Operators: Requirements?

ZK-Altitude
20th Jun 2005, 07:52
I'm drawing close to completing my CPL/MEIR, and I am interested in attaining a job in the scenic flight / charter business in Queenstown (or anywhere else in NZ for that matter). I'll have approximately 300 hours on completion of my licence, and I intend to undertake the mountain flying course through Wakatipu Aero Club. I'm also prepared to complete 50 hours local experience, as required by most local operators, paying my own way.

What are the general requirements of Queenstown operators? Is 350 hours + MEIR an attractive figure for a first job? I'm prepared to do a lot of door knocking & CV cloning in order to attain employment, and from what I've heard, it's not an easy market to break into.

Any tips and tricks from people who have been there, done that will be appreciated.

Cheers.

Slater
20th Jun 2005, 08:15
Hi there, Queenstown is a great place to fly. You will enjoy the 50hr course, you learn heaps and meet some great people. It is a fairly hard market to crack into when you first arrive, but there has been quite a bit of movement over the past 6-8 months down there so will be a few jobs going for the next summer season i imagine.

400hrs generally puts people in a good position to pick up work. MEIR stands for not much down there as there is no IFR work and no multi flying for the first couple of seasons for newbies.

The best thing to do down there is to meet all the guys and girls that fly for the companies while you are doing the 50hrs and try not to stand on any toes. All the operators welcome the aeroclub pilots jumping in spare seats for rides into Milford which is cool, an excellent way to build a bit more local experience and also a free way. As with anywhere, you have to make things happen for yourself down there and cant sit back and wait for it to happen for you.

Other than that, enjoy the experience down there and stay in Jackies good books (very important)

Slater

masseygrad
22nd Jun 2005, 06:54
How many hours could a new hire expect to do in their first season in Queenstown? Best case scenario?

Do new hires have to pay for their own type ratings?

NZLeardriver
22nd Jun 2005, 07:41
It would be a good idea as some of the local experience to do an instructors rating. Then while you are instructing the local operators can get an idea if you are a decent bloke thus leading to some work.

jafa in da hood
24th Jun 2005, 01:57
Gidday,
What slater said is exactly right.
Doing your 50 hours doesn’t mean you are going to get a job and don’t expect to move on to the larger operators in a short period of time.

1) 50 hours is a minimum requirement so always expect to do more. Be prepared to spend more money than what you initially thought and most importantly, do a C206 rating (operators pay for this once you work for them). During your 50 hours you will have assessments from one of the B Cats, if all is going well they’ll tell you stay and continue. If you are below standard they will tell you to leave, they’re not into r@ping money off you.
2) During your 50 hours, make yourself known to the operators on the airfield, remember if you’re a good b@stard, your in there interests as well as they will need new staff sooner or later. If there are any spare seats going to Milford, try to get onboard as they will show you how they fly their aeroplanes and you’ll also pick up other aspects about mountain flying that you may not have got from the aero club.
3) If/Once you go online at Air Wakatipu, expect to spend your whole first summer sitting on the couch hoping punters will arrive. A good bit of advise is to remember that Air Wakatipu is part of an aero club, therefore be prepared to mow the lawns, help out in fundraising, go looking for jobs around the place that need to be done. If everything’s done, back to the terminal to go flying with the operators.
4) An SPMEIR isn’t worth the paper it’s written on down here. A scenic flight under instruments would suck for both pilot and passengers. The last person who went to Milford IFR is still missing! The only IFR flights here are in ATR’s and the 737’s.

Make sure you have fun, always go out on the pi$$ when everyone goes out, that’s the best way to get to know everyone. You’ll have a hell of a lot of fun down here as it’s the best flying you’ll never do. The aero club is much different to all the big schools around the country. If you’re from Auckland, don’t tell everyone you enjoy Lion Red, ive still got battle scars all over my body.

Good Luck with your choice :ok:
Jafa in da hood.

Dixons Cider
24th Jun 2005, 06:22
I concur - its the best flying you will ever do.

The irony is that when you are there with a bit of time under your belt you will be busting your nuts to leave and get some multi,IF,turbine or airline time. Once you do is when things start to go downhill.

11 years later (mygod!!), it still the most enjoyable and rewarding flying I did, just a shame the wallet doesn't agree.

ZK-Altitude
25th Jun 2005, 04:26
Thanks for the great replies fellas. :ok: