PDA

View Full Version : Good Job going in Queensland

ginjockey
20th Jun 2005, 05:15
Hi all,

There's a good little job for the right person going in the Queensland government at the moment. They require a First Officer on the QLD government King Air 350, requirements seem sensible and are not overly high, stable employment, be decent working hours and conditions with a good employer flying nice machinery. Lots of worse jobs out there.

I don't have the link handy but go onto the QLD government website and look in the recruitment section if you ae intersted in learning more.

cheers

Gin.

Natit
20th Jun 2005, 06:10
http://www.jobs.qld.gov.au/search/JobDetail.asp?JobId=45085

jarjar
20th Jun 2005, 08:12
It seems too good to be true, especially for low hour pilots, the salary of 39000-50000 is pretty good considering youll be a flap operator. You look at GA award for Metro Fo for example and the most youll get is 35000. Notice they have a jet as well, chance for progression?

Arm out the window
20th Jun 2005, 11:50
Just watch out for the wine bottle count when passing through far northern ports.

EngineOut
20th Jun 2005, 12:23
also noticed that they have a newly registered B1900C

Desert Duck
21st Jun 2005, 01:23
Govt job is temporary (12 months ) on the 350 - the 1900 is Qld Police

YMML
21st Jun 2005, 01:55
I recall applying for that job a few years back and having to fill out all the sections regarding my ability to meet numerous key competencies. Took a fair bit of time and effort. Later heard from a pretty reliable source that the job was already assigned to a particular person and the whole process was to satisfy Govt. requirements to externally advertise etc. The person who got the job may very well have been more suitable than me but was definately less qualified..

I've no axe to grind and have since found a job flying jets but wanted to provide a heads up to save others wasting time from applying for a job which in reality may not even be open to applications.

If my info was wrong and it is indeed "available", best of luck to those who want it :ok:

Tinpis2
21st Jun 2005, 02:09
to accompany that, its only co pilot time for only 12 months.

wishtobflying
21st Jun 2005, 02:27
I have a bit of experience applying for government jobs (the last government job I successfully applied for had over 130 other applicants) so if you are thinking about this one please allow me to share some thoughts with you:

Disclaimer: I have not applied for any flying jobs, so if you are in a government flying job and you disagree with me, please feel free to have some input ...

You CANNOT just send your CV in listing your endorsements and hours on types. You are VERY unlikely to even get an interview if you do that.

You need to have a separate document that responds to the Selection Criteria in order and in detail. Usually it would look a little like this:

Responses to Selection Criteria for:
Pilot (First Officer - KingAir)
Vacancy Ref PR69/05

SC1. Possession of a Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL) (mandatory)

I achieved my Commercial Pilot Licence (CPL) in 1992 with the Ocker Flying School in Wanabelong.

Possession of a Command Instrument Rating (CIR)(mandatory)

I achieved my Command Instrument Rating (CIR) in 1995 with the Wanabelong Flying School in Ocker.

Possession of Airline Transport Pilot Licence subjects desirable

I have completed the following subjects towards the Airline Transport Pilot Licence:

(list)

etc ...

Obviously the first three mandatory Selection Criteria are exactly that ... mandatory, but the following sections are what will get you to an interview and over the line.

There is usually a panel for government jobs, and they shortlist simply by having a checklist where they tick off how many of their magic words you use in your responses to the non-mandatory criteria, so you should write a LOT.

You should plan on writing at least a page for each of the non-mandatory criteria. REALLY.

Dredge up every example you can think of that applies to these criteria, because they will count. The people with more examples than you may get one more tick in the box, and you may not even get to the interview because they've been told where the cutoff is, it's a number and they don't care how close it is. They have to justify their reasons for choosing one person over another, and the easiest way to do that is with the "tick the boxes" system.

Anyway, I hope that's valuable to someone. I imagine the response to this job will be quite large given the current climate. Good luck, and why not get back on here and let us know how you went.

PropDuster
21st Jun 2005, 03:57
with all due political correctness is this job open to both sexes or just the fairer sex and advertised to satisfy legal requirements|?

The King Air FO slots used to be a closed shop and ladies only.
Not thats there's a major drama with that, just wondering wether it's worth all the effort applying when you have no show anyway

Any enlightenment would be appreciated

Regards
Prop

tom19
21st Jun 2005, 04:36
Gee, sounds too good to be true!!! : ) They say a minimum of 500 hours but surely they are going to employ someone to fly their king air with a lot more experience than that??? I would also expect hundreds of people applying for this job, especially now it's on pprune! : ) Good luck to all!

Tom19

tinpis
21st Jun 2005, 05:00
Even old Joh had a wrestle with the shiny levers now and then.
"Dont you worry about that now Berryl"

http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/iwstupidl.gif

swamp monkey
22nd Jun 2005, 03:12
Without trying to be sexist.......just look at the sex of the last few F/O's and it also helps that the position has been passed from friend to friend for quite some time!:D

Dookie on Drums
22nd Jun 2005, 12:54
Apparently the F/O (female) that just left has started with VB:ok:

frangatang
25th Jun 2005, 10:27
Dont you have to be disabled,a wooze and ethnic to get the job?

WangFunk
21st Jul 2005, 00:54
Was anybody called up?

PropDuster
25th Jul 2005, 01:19
Nah current F/O has reapplied

U2
25th Jul 2005, 01:20
500 hours to fly co-pilot on a kingair. They may aswell get a hampster and train it on how to operate the flap level and cup holder.

U2

megle2
26th Jul 2005, 08:57
Hampster's are pretty talented these days.
Needs to be able to fly leg for leg.
Current F/O also has a 350 command and exercises the priveledges, left and right seat.
Don't know who got the job.

rsull
8th Aug 2005, 07:13
So has anyone got any news??