PDA

View Full Version : Any Advise On Kununurra?

BeerMan
20th Jun 2005, 01:42
Anyone,

Hoping I might be able to get some good advice from people.

I am looking for a response from anybody that has flown in Kununurra before (and anybody else who is interested in lending their advise). I have done a bit of reading across this forum, and have got some good advise from the questions of others, but I still have a couple of questions of my own.

A run down of me:

- I am 32 and started flying 8 years ago as a private pilot, once I started earning a decent income (outside of aviation)
- CPL
- MECIR
- About 550 hours, with about 250 twin time (just a Duchess and a Partenavia)
- Just completed my ATPL theory subjects

Last year I decided to make a change in career and I would really like to get in the airlines. That's why I did my Instrument rating and ATPL subjects. For me now, I THINK it is just clocking up the hours and getting some good experience.

I did a bit of a tour around the country side earlier this year, and Kununurra seems like a good spot to get a start and get some hours. My plan is to quit my job next March and head straight across.

A few questions if anybody could help:

1) When people talk about doing "a couple of seasons in Kunners", would you only work during the dry season and then try and find something else from November to April and then come back again, or does two seasons mean you stay there over the quiet time as well.

2) If spending a couple of seasons there, would you expect to be on twins in your second year? I know nothing is guaranteed, but generally is it realistic to expect it?

3) I have seen this question being asked before, but what the heck, I'll ask anyway. Being 32 I am worried that I am a bit old to change, and especially to get into the airlines. I've managed a few people in my job in the corporate world, and wondering if that kind of alternative background helps at all? Any other advice / encouragement from late starters would be appreciated.

Anyway, thanks to anybody who takes the time to help me with these questions.

Believe me, I know this is not going to be an easy road, but I appreciate any help and experience that you can offer in my quest to live out the rest of my working career in a job I have a massive passion for.

BeerMan….

jarjar
20th Jun 2005, 03:14
Dear Beerman,
With a name like that you will have no problem in this industry. To answer your questions, Ive spent a few years in kunners and loved the experience, you will meet alot of great people who will undoubtedly be friends of yours for many years to come.

1. It depends on the number of current pilots employed with the company, and when you get employed how far up the food chain you are. In the wet season companies like Alligator and Slingair only typically need about 50% of the pilots that they needed in the dry. Therefore if you get put on first in the dry youve got a good chance of working year round.

2. Very similar to number 1's answer, it all depends if some of the more senior twin drivers bugger off to bigger and better things. With your multi time you may have a slight advantage.

3. No your not too old

Lastly, I heard a rumour that an operator in kunners was looking for pilots now. If your going to do it, go. As far as March next yesr, maybe try late January or early Febuary, get yourself a job tending bar, best way to meet pilots(remember they are the ones who the chief pilot asks for a reference). make heaps of friends. If your going to do it next year, possibly do a bartending course or something similar in your spare time, will be extremely valuable.

Good luck:ok:

multime
20th Jun 2005, 08:10
As for knx. If i had my time over i won,t of bothered. Shake a tree and pilots fall out. Look seriously at Darwin, Katherine, Batchelor or Alice. Less bs and less sucking up.
Cheers
Multi:ok:

drshmoo
20th Jun 2005, 09:32
Kunners was two of the best years of my life. It took me 2 months to get work, was a bartender and waiter while waiting for flying job. Great flying if you can get out over the kimberley coast. With you partvavia experience that could come in handy with alligator. Remember that you have to come across as someone with people skills, someone that would be a good tour guide, not just someone that can fly an aeroplane.
Yours skills working in the corporate world will only serve to frustrate you when dealing with most GA operators. Just sit back and enjoy the flying and try to stay away from all the politics, drink lots of beer, enjoy the view and enjoy the mates you'll make.
For those who belive that Kunners = shake a tree and three pilots fall out, that can be true but it is up to the individual to show some flair and personality that can prove to the Chief Pilots/ ops manangers and owners that you can not only return the aeroplane safely from a trip around the bungles but to put on a great show while doing it.
I have several flying colleagues that have changed career in their late 20s/early 30s. They have initially forgon the good wages and security of the old jobs but have opted for the new challenge and satasfaction of a flying career. Both flew first jobs in kununurra and within 3/4 years one is in a Regional down south and the other is in full time work with one of the reputable operators in Darwin about to get on the twins.
If you want it, go get it
Shmoo

OpsNormal
20th Jun 2005, 12:15
Hey Shmoo, you forgot that one piece of good advice..... Put the right letter in the right envelope? :} :}

Congrats on that certain number in the book too.... :}

On the subject of numbers, my last cdma mobile died (no sim card therefore all numbers lost). Can you flick me a txt msg again?

Ta,

OpsN ;)

Mr Garrison
27th Jun 2005, 00:27
Beerman,

Check your PM's

Mr G

:ok:

BeerMan
27th Jun 2005, 01:09
To those that left a reply and some good advise, thanks very much. I know it's not the most engaging topic, but I do appreciate the comments.

Beerman.

bunglesboy
27th Jun 2005, 06:28
G'day Beerman

I spent many years working in kununurra. I started with a bare CPL IRT and 245 hrs. When I got there the were already a number of pilots already waiting for their lucky break. It's true that competition is fierce for the jobs available and it will not be easy, but if you really want a career in aviation then moving to Kunners is a must to get a foot up. There are plent of jobs outside naviation in town so supporting your self isn't to hard. Accomodation is a little scarce so you really need to get there in Jan-Feb and get set up. Don't leave it to late.

As for getting on twins, this will depend on movement within the company and a little luck on your part. Having a multi IR doesn't mean much to these operators as most hopeful pilots will have one and the flying in mostly VFR.

Work throughout the wet season will depend on movement and guys/girls going on holidays and to a certain extent on how you conduct yourself throughout the season and the impression you leave with the powers that be within the company you work for.

Some advise if you do get a start - never turn down a flight or complain about a flight you are rostered to do, help your mates out at the end of the day with regards to putting an "airplane to bed" and offer to help when ever your not flying.These may be obvious but a lot of people forget these little things and Chief pilots notice. It helps when they need people for the wet season work.

Good luck in you hunt for work and remember that competition is strong at all levels in aviation and just because they may say no today doesn't mean thats the end of it. Keep at them. It will pay off.
:ok: