PDA

View Full Version : What will be my best move?

Heavy FCC
21st Jan 2001, 08:21
I'm currently in the USAF and have been working on C-17's for over 5 years now. The pay wouldn't be so bad if I were in another career field but as an aircraft mechanic, it is insulting. Especially with the amount of responsibility that a mechanic has. Every one elts in the AF gets paid the same for flipping burgers, working at the gym or sitting at a computer sending e-mails most of the day. Not to mention mechanics get deployed to deserts, work 12hr shifts and holidays, have a lot risk associated with their jobs and get paid the same as other fields. Mechanics are the lifeline of any aircraft or operation. They are the ones and the only ones who can ensure the aircraft is reliable and they have to usually make these determinations under a lot of stress. I’d like to think I’ve excelled at being an aircraft mech. As I have upgraded earlier than most and supervise, evaluate, and inspect the maintenance that takes place, and also get nothing more for an “IA” position. I feel extremely comfortable with the aircraft but am tired of getting nothing for the hard work and experience I give them. I had the option to get out mid 1999 but didn’t and really regret it because I had missed a $7000 bonus, by a month, that all the people re-enlisting are now getting. Should I get out? I heard that some are making close to 100K after awhile. I’ve had my A&P now for 1.5 years and have know Idea why I re-enlisted until 2002 but I need to get some info on what is out there for a good heavy A&P mechanic. What are the going rates? And what are the best companies to work for?

Paulf
23rd Jan 2001, 02:47
Welcome to life in the real world!!! Things are not that different in civil aviation.The pay is poor for the responsibility,hours are long and in the UK the weather's s***!
Seriously,though you could do worse than to log on to total jobs .com or check out flight international's home page to give you ideas about what and where.As you hold an A&P and not a UK AMEL my ideas of salary and companies may not match yours.
Best of luck!!!

Aviation Editor
24th Jan 2001, 21:29
There are many positions out their for QUALIFIED techs, and if you have line or avionics experience the pay is good. As a Navy Reservist I could never make what I am making now. Since I left the Navy my pay has increased by a factor of 12. But, if your ecperience is on C-17, (and I assume C-130) aircraft as a Crew Chief or GAC, then you will have a harder time trying to convince a DOM that you know his equipment. Pay for a heavy tech ranges anywhere from 12 to 27 an hour and varies with the area you are located in. With a 50,000 mech shortage it is easy to find work if you know where to look. For example companies such as Bombardier (860-292-7257, Duncan (201-288-1550), Garrett (631 468 3047), Jet Aviation (201 288-8400 ext.2275) and Tag (800 787-0555 ext.444)are all desperately looking for techs. to work on Corporate Jets.
Note: Corporate Aviation Pays the highest for Technicians.

DB