PDA

View Full Version : LAE & Technician vacancies at Quantas

Ali Crom
19th Jan 2001, 20:02
I heard a rumour that Qantas are on a recruitment drive in the U.K. for 50 LAE's & 150 Technicians . Can anybody confirm this ?

[This message has been edited by Ali Crom (edited 19 January 2001).]

roo 2
20th Jan 2001, 05:30
be careful the money there offering for ame's is less than the cleaners are getting there on the old pay structure,in fact it's closer to a junior clerks wage in a loan sharks office.

lame
20th Jan 2001, 16:08
On the news here in Australia today, unless all engineering staff take massive pay cuts, Qantas are planning on moving much of their engineering work to New Zealand, where they say it is cheaper??????

Be very careful...........

time-ex
21st Jan 2001, 01:23
As this is the latest escape route being investigated by my younger colleagues keen to get out of the world's favourite ASAP. I would appreciate some actual figures to pass on to them and maybe even a link to news about moving the engineering to New Zealand.
I would like to stop them making a dreadful mistake. There are some really good guys here and if I was looking for good staff I'd snap them up without hesitation.
I will be surprised if BA hasn't warned Qantas not to poach BA engineers. (The 2 airlines being in bed together these days.) I wonder what the legality of that would be.
I know guy's who work Qantas aircraft at LHR and they have been tempted. The really good one's say they already have their cards marked in their favour.

lame
21st Jan 2001, 05:26
time-ex,

Not aware of exact figures, found a few articles that I will email you if you send me your email address, also sending them to Ali Crom.

Best regards,

"lame"

Penn Doff
21st Jan 2001, 14:39
Whats the story for LAME's then? Which bases, whats the money, what cover reqd and who do you contact? Any info would be much appreciated

------------------
"please report further"

lame
22nd Jan 2001, 00:58
Someone at Qantas may be able to help you more? Anyone out there?????

All I know is what is being reported on the news. Qantas are threatening to go to New Zealand to save money, IF they don't then it will be either Brisbane or Melbourne. They keep mentioning B767 but also say for their domestic fleet, so possibly B767 and B737??

Ali Crom
22nd Jan 2001, 02:23
LAME , thanks for the info , but I can't help being slightly confused that Qantas would want to move some of it's maintenance to NZ when according to Ultralights from a previous thread 'shortage... we told you so ' they tried to recruit & only 5 engineers got the job . Perhaps they have managed to de-skill the role to the extent where they intend to employ some sheep to carry out the work & why not as the rest of flying public think we're all grease monkeys anyway . No offence to any Kiwi's reading this .

lame
22nd Jan 2001, 02:36
Ali Crom,

No worries.

As I understand it, they want to move a lot of their maintenance away from Sydney, talking of making more terminal space where the hangars are.

At the same time, like most Airlines, they want to cut costs, they are threatening to go to New Zealand, as Ansett also does by the way (now owned by Air NZ), to save money. They MIGHT stay in Australia, build up in either Brisbane or Melbourne, IF the unions give them some large concessions on current pay and conditions??????

Aerosexual
22nd Jan 2001, 03:13
Well last nights news is sure to lift the spirits of the engineers at Qantas. A union official holding a leaked document stating that Qantas are sending the 767 maintenance to NZ, and that 300 jobs will be cut. Fact or fiction, however we are beginning our EBA wage negotiations again soon???? Some of you were enquiring about wages, well unlicened = $620 gross per week. Licened on tyoe start at $909 gross per week. How does this compare to the UK wages. I hope this helps some in your decision making.

roo 2
22nd Jan 2001, 07:16
aerosexual's figures are right it's $621 gross for an ame level 6 on the new company struture.That's about $500 after tax.To rent a flat in Sydney within half an hour to the airport it is about $250.Then after food and household bills your negetive $100.A local car mechanic makes $800 to $1000 per week.$500 is about 200 British pounds per week

[This message has been edited by roo 2 (edited 23 January 2001).]

spannersatcx
22nd Jan 2001, 15:57
Aerosexual, regarding wage comparison, I get in GBP what you get in Aus$, so assuming 2 Aus$ to a GBP about half.

lame
23rd Jan 2001, 00:29
Even worse than that, our $A is trading this morning at around 38P...........

roo 2
24th Jan 2001, 09:12
ali crom where did you here that QANTAS was hiring

Ali Crom
24th Jan 2001, 13:17
roo 2 ,
I heard it indirectly from an ex-BA union shop steward . I'll try to find out how he heard this & let you know .

AC.

lame
31st Jan 2001, 11:30
On the news services this afternoon, Qantas is to build a $A65.8 million Brisbane Repair Base. Intend building a new hangar and workshop in Brisbane and will begin to service their B767 fleet there in late 2002.

This announcement came as Unions were planning to stop work over plans to move the work to New Zealand.