PDA

View Full Version : EGPWS

MR FIXIT
18th Jan 2001, 07:00
I was recently in discussion with a company who claim they are the only approved FAA/CAA for EGPWS. I was told by them that the biggest job in the system installation was the arial, which has to be placed on top of the a/c. When I asked whether it could be fitted on the bottom of the a/c for ease of maintenance, the answer was negative. Anybody can advise? Cheers

REMEMBER FLYING IS THE SAFEST WAY TO FLY

JetMender
18th Jan 2001, 12:14
Which aerial do you mean?
Some (but not all) EGPWS use GPS for accurate position information. The GPS aerial would need to be on the roof to be line of site with the satellites.
The radio altimeters used by standard and enhanced GPWS obviously need to be on the belly.

spanners
19th Jan 2001, 03:10
If I'm not mistaken, EGPWS also uses the radar, so there's an aerial in front as well!

MR FIXIT
19th Jan 2001, 05:29
Thank you gentlemen for your input. However, the a/c type is B757 which already has INS, Radio Altimeters, ETC, so why does it need GPS? Cheers
REMEMBER FLYING IS THE SAFEST WAY TO FLY

JetMender
19th Jan 2001, 12:16
GPS provides more accurate position information so EGPWS computer knows exactly where A/C is, on its inbuilt map.
IRS is subject to drift after after a long flight, and in remote areas, there may not be DMEs or VORs to update IRS position.
Having said that, some A/C only use FMC/IRS position inputs to EGPWS but then there is more chance of false warnings due to inaccuracies.

growler
20th Jan 2001, 03:30
Try www.egpws.com (http://www.egpws.com) for loads of info.
Jetmender;I'll contact your other half to arrange a night out after payday. Can't do the mex place in Ampthill though, have an unpaid bill since before xmas!!

near enuf is good enuf
21st Jan 2001, 17:12
Spanners,
You are mistaken !
EGPWS doesn't use WXR. The info is fed from the EGPWS computer to the EHSI (B757) using the WXR data buses.
You either select WXR or EGPWS.

------------------
So that you may not be the martyred slaves of Time,
get drunk, get drunk,
and never pause for rest!
With wine, poetry, or virtue,
as you choose!"

DoctorA300
25th Jan 2001, 11:22
Jetmender
Most Egpws sys uses FMC pos. itīs just a question how the FMC determins itīs position.