PDA

View Full Version : Military or GA?

sir.pratt
19th Jun 2005, 07:40
Hi everyone, I have a question - I've got 100hrs or so PPL, want to keep flying, but have my eye on the military - what are some GA vs MIL experiences? Military seems to have the best security, GA the most varied options?

Condensation
19th Jun 2005, 07:43
I think you'd find military pilots fly a lot less but yes, it'd be more secure and the benefits and pay are better than GA of course.

Not sure about other airlines but I recently emailed Cathay Pacific and they said the only applicants they invite for an interview under 3000 hrs are military pilots.

Aussie
19th Jun 2005, 09:31
Gday mate.

Ive spent 4 yrs in the RAAF, unfortunatly not as a pilot. I failed my medical due to eyesight.

it depends what your after. I will have my CPL in 12 or so hrs and will fly civi, however, if i had half a chance flying military, i would jump at it.

The flying is so different! especially on depolyments. If your airlines orientated, then get in the military and go for the C130's they average around 5-600hrs a yr. Thats not too bad. get posted to 34SQN on the VIP or the new AWACS at 2SQN and get jet time up too.

Do your time and get out into the airlines. Plenty of RAAFies now flying CX and QF.

I know if i had half a chance to go military, i wouldnt think twice.

Good luck.

Aussie

sir.pratt
19th Jun 2005, 10:06
it's rnzaf in en zed - not raaf...

scrambler
19th Jun 2005, 14:18
in that case go the civilian path, you will be flying faster and newer machines in GA in enzed than in the military

RYAN TCAD
19th Jun 2005, 16:09
G'day,

my bet would be go the military path because as a fact - you only have slightly less than a 5% chance of making it to the airlines going the GA way.

Military on the other hand, is higher!

Bo!