PDA

View Full Version : EU Passport - Do I need one?

I Just Want To Fly
18th Jun 2005, 16:24
I can get a 4 year working visa for the UK, which is renewable indefinately.

Are there any carriers I can work for in the UK? It looks like the big boys all require EU passports, but what about the charter airlines or LCCs?

Thanks...

triple x
18th Jun 2005, 17:32
which passport do u currently hold ?

fly_guy100
18th Jun 2005, 18:16
I would like to know this also. I'm a U.S. citizen and hold a U.S. passport, if I'm able to get that kind of work permit, can I apply for airlines in the UK particularly Virgin or British Airways?

Grove
18th Jun 2005, 18:47
U must have an E.U passport to apply at British

concorde001
18th Jun 2005, 19:08
I think tht if you have residency in the United Kingdom, i.e. Indefinite Leave to Remain, then applying with BA should be no problem. I know BA recruit select few cabin crew from India, Japan and some other Asian countries, and presumably they don't have EU passports, though they are not based in the United Kingdom.

I Just Want To Fly
18th Jun 2005, 22:27
I am an Australian National, and am eligible for a 4 year visa as my granparents were born there. This is renewable, provided I have been a good little boy.

I have looked on the major airline's websites, and BA & VS both need EU passports. Most others seem to say they prefere EU pspts, but the right to work indefinately is sufficient.

Cabindevil
19th Jun 2005, 00:37
I only had a australian 2 year visa and worked as Cabin Crew for Easyjet so try them, fantastic airline to work for !!!!!!!!! :D

Dualbleed
19th Jun 2005, 00:56
I'm not EU passport holder, but in the EU economic area so no problems there. I scratch your back and you scratch mine !

EATA

I Just Want To Fly
19th Jun 2005, 02:50
I am thinking easy jet is the way to go. Or even JAL, but I won't be able to get over there for the current round of JL recruiting.

Thanks heaps for the advice guys...

Grove
19th Jun 2005, 07:46
I can assure you British require an E.U passport...no exceptions, no work visa, no right to settle visa an E.U passport is a must.

dollyanz
27th Jun 2005, 18:06
Hi there

Air new Zealand LHR base I don't think you need an EU passport as many of our crew are on the same visa through grand parents. I have a feeling bmi was also like that but you'd need to check with them

good luck with it all
D

Turroncin
27th Jun 2005, 18:26
My partner has a settlement visa, and needs to wait 2 years for indefinite leave to remain. He's been looking for work and the only airline that doesn't require an EU passport and/or ILT is EasyJet. GB airways and NZ ask for ILT. Even if your visa is renewable, if it has an expiry date they don't entertain applications - take it from me, I've spent the last 4 months with my partner reading rejection emails because he doesn't have the right passport or the right visa!

ABird747
27th Jun 2005, 20:16
Having done new entrant recruitment at BA I can tell you that as long as you have a work permit in your passport and can prove that it is renewable then you shouldn't have many problems.

I took on a couple of people who didn't have EU passports.

At the end of the day what's gonna happen if you apply and they don't like your passport? You won't get the job! They won't amputate and limbs or imprison you...

Give it a go!

dollyanz
27th Jun 2005, 20:50
Thought this may help so you can see what requirements are necessary at our company. I can assure you many of our expatriate crew travel ONLY on a New Zealand passport but employed locally in London with visas through grandparents british born status. This is copied from AirNZ recruitment requirements on their web site....

United Kingdom (UK) Residency
Only permanent UK residents will be considered (including those born outside the UK who have a valid work visa for the UK).

Passport
If successful with your application you will require a current passport. Airline crew are not permitted to operate on a Mainland China Passport.

Does not specify what passport is required just residency requirements through visa is necessary

Hope this clears things up here anyway. I believe you just need to prove that Visa is able to be renewed

Cheers
D

skyhighgirl
27th Jun 2005, 20:55
Yep had one of those ancestry visas as well, I know BMI you only need to show that you can live and work in the UK indefinitely so should be fine with the visa, or do what I did and join Emirates, am now working in the private sector!