PDA

View Full Version : building hours with GA jobs

winch launch
18th Jun 2005, 16:22
Hey everyone, I just need some advices here.

I have been dropping parachutes for a few months now and got the hours to interest a para club operating a pilatus PC-6. I am of course goinna go for it, 1st because I love this aircraft, but also because I hope that turbine hours will make me more employable when I ll be looking for a job on JAR-25. I have heard quiet often that this kind of flying is very good, but airlines can sometimes thnk that you are building up bad habits (I heard the same about instructing which I am also thinking about doing later). So if anyone has started with this kind of flying, to what extent did it help you to then find an airline job?

Thanx

Winch

ATP_Al
19th Jun 2005, 21:30
I'm in a similar line of work in the UK at the moment. I haven't got an airline job yet, but I have had a couple of interviews.

From what I have seen of this industry so far, there will always be some kind of experience that employers want and you haven't got. Likewise they'll almost certainly have some reservations about the job you do at the moment, whether it's a flying job or not. Every airline wants different things from its pilots, so you can't second guess what they they do or don't want.

All you can do is be positive and take the best job on offer at the time and keep applying for better ones. If the Porter job is the best you can get and you think you'd enjoy it, go for it!

Hope that helps!

Al:ok:

winch launch
20th Jun 2005, 17:27
thanx ATP

My position is a bit different though. I am just PPL, finished the groundschool, and I should start my CPL-IR in around august, which is when they ll need me for the pilatus. If I had finished my training I would definitly go for it, as i prefer flying rather than sitting at home doing nothing. But here, even though I am going for it and i am all exited about it, I am wondering if I just should do everything to build as many hours as I can, or just should do it gently, so that once i am CPL-IR the word " sky cowboy" won t come in mind of the recruiters.
Also, I don t see why some people say that instructors can also build up bad habbits. I am planning on doing this straight after the MCC, and if what they say is true, then this would mean that not touching an aircraft after training until you are employed is the best thing. That would be a bit stupid.

Winch

fokkerking!
22nd Jun 2005, 18:54
He winch launch, I'm paradropping at the moment, I've had one interview, and they didn't really tell me what they tought about the paradropping. I can imagine that you start having bad habits when you start this type of flying when you only have a ppl.
I would advise you to first do some good decent flight training and then start out working as a jump pilot. When you are working as a jump pilot be strict for yourself and think about what they thought you in training. I also think it will be quite hard to fly a pc-6 if you don't have a lot of hours, but thats just my opinion.....