PDA

View Full Version : Aeroshell Book

Cyclic Hotline
3rd Mar 2001, 04:51
Looking for some information today, and stumbled upon a copy of the Aeroshell book on the Net. Great reference for everyone in Aviation.

http://www.shell.com/aviation-en/application/0,4530,33574,00.html

If you fill out the survey, you can get a free copy of the book on either CD or paper.

sprocket
3rd Mar 2001, 08:17
Thanks Cyclic, yer blood's worth bottling!

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Mar 2001, 13:12
Good stuff, well spotted.

G

spannerhead
3rd Mar 2001, 14:31
A useful thread at last.
I think that more like this would be benificial to all of us instead of the constant bickering and setting the world to rights in the other topics.
Anyone disagree?
(maybe I shouldn't have said that)

nilnotedtks
3rd Mar 2001, 14:41
Well done cyclic, well bloody done mate !

Chilli Source
3rd Mar 2001, 15:05
Nice one....

Penn Doff
3rd Mar 2001, 15:17
Been trying to get old of this gen for years, cheers mate.

------------------
"please report further"

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Mar 2001, 21:51
Now all we need is for somebody to find Rolls Royce's "the jet engine" online.

G

troubleshooter
4th Mar 2001, 02:31
thanks for the good info
T

WideBodiedEng
4th Mar 2001, 05:11
Great News!
The info is much appreciated

------------------
The Stamp is mightier than the Toolbox!!

Lu Zuckerman
4th Mar 2001, 06:36
On many occasions the Shell Grey Bible has solved a lot of problems related to improper lubricants being used in various applications. My last copy was stolen so I went onto the website and filled out the form. Now, I am anxiously awaiting my CD ROM copy. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

It seems very strange but this book is not available through Shell in the United States.

------------------
The Cat

redtail
4th Mar 2001, 17:39
It's probably not legal under US regs, or Shell is worried about liability issues. Gotta use the airline or aircraft manufacturer's manuals. It is too bad it is not available over here, as you never know where you will run across useful nuggets of information about how to perform your job.

Lu Zuckerman
4th Mar 2001, 18:56
To: Redtail

First of all, welcome back. Shell went through a major reorganization several years ago and downgraded their aviation section in their Houston home offices. They spread the responsibilities of the aviation department around into other organizations and it became very difficult to get any information. In my job I deal with aviation lubricants as they deal with reliability and maintainability and in some cases safety. Whenever I had a question after that time I would have to call the UK for an answer. In 1997 Shell published “Shell Lubricants Handbook and this is available from their Houston offices. It has a section on aviation products but it does not go to the depth of detail contained in the Grey Bible. I would suggest you get both since they are free and you can cover all bases as the handbook described above stresses industrial lubricants which will cover your GSE / AGE.

------------------
The Cat

Cyclic Hotline
4th Mar 2001, 21:32
I was also unable to get a copy from Shell Aviation in the States (they had no idea what I was talking about).

I did however get a paper copy from Royal Lubricants who were our Aeroshell product supplier at the time.

I also tried to buy Shell water-check capsules here in the States. They had never heard of them either! I eventually found them through our supplier for all our fuel equipment here in the States.

spannerhead
5th Mar 2001, 12:43
For those who need their address,

Shell International Trading Company
ITLMA/131
Shell centre
London
SE1

certainly for the UK chaps, you can write to them requesting a book and they will send one free of charge. US guys should give it a go, it,s only the price of a stamp!

sprocket
23rd Mar 2001, 10:41
Just received my Aeroshell book in the mail today. All the way from London. I had my doubts that they would send it this far.

No CD-ROM though, as they say they are updating it at the moment.

Thanks again for the tip Cyclic.

------------------
sprocket: .. No standards? Nooo problems!

redtail
23rd Mar 2001, 16:11
Hot damn, they even mailed one to me in the States. Good deal!

airsmiles
23rd Mar 2001, 23:51
Had a similar experience. Received the book but not the CD. Talking to some Shell contacts reveals that they may have it ready by late April.

Presumably we will have to request the CD separately at that time.

Dragonspet
24th Mar 2001, 01:47
Thanks so much for the usefull information, most informative.

innocent bystander
26th Mar 2001, 05:32
for a rotary man that's a nice one cyclic, sent for my copy today, i'll drink a stubby
for you.

------------------
dont look at me,i didn't signe it out,i'm just an innocent bystander

Cat1234
26th Mar 2001, 14:10
Got mine in Adelaide, Australia.

------------------
Curiousity killed it

Cyclic Hotline
30th Mar 2001, 00:25
Well, I got my copy as well and very nice it is too!

This new version is far more complete than the old copy (couple of years) that I have already. Whoever at Shell put this together, did a tremendous amount of work, and a really excellent job.

Anyone from Shell Aviation who reads this - Thanks very much..........

gaterbait
2nd Apr 2001, 08:15
got mine a couple of weeks ago-real helpful

gaterbait
2nd Apr 2001, 08:58
as a ps to my previous post,while i was ordering my copy of the aeroshell book i saw a list of other free pubs shell would send you but i can't that page. anyone know what it is?

innocent bystander
2nd Apr 2001, 21:48
mine arrived friday,it's one of those good books every else has but you can never find
:) :) :)

------------------
dont look at me,i didn't signe it out,i'm just an innocent bystander

SchmiteGoBust
4th Apr 2001, 19:44
Excellent info Cyclic. Used to be a chart on the wall they made us take down. This is better.