PDA

View Full Version : JAR Theory in W.Aust?

floatsarmed
17th Jun 2005, 06:21
Does anyone know of a school in W.Aust that does JAR (h) theory via correspondence. Its got to be cheaper doing it in Oz than paying the plainly ludicrous amounts of dosh that the poms have to lay out?
Cheers FloatsArmed

Friendly Black Dog
17th Jun 2005, 08:17
Once upon a time I worked for a famous/in-famous school that trained heaps of UK/European students in Aus, and they all went back to Europe to do the theory. That may have been because the school didn't teach it here, and therefore did not want to pass on other options...but I think it was more that the students wanted to become associated/introduced to some aviation companies back in the UK, if indeed thare was any option available here. Can't remember for sure but suspect the full time course was approximately 3 months mon/fri 9-5...this would suggest a hell of a course to do by correspondance. Hope some one else can answer for sure... if not PM me and I'll put you in touch with one of the guys who has done it full time in the last couple of years.
Cheers FBD ;)

hughey
17th Jun 2005, 08:33
Whilst training at Jandakot Helicopters WA there was another heli school starting up at Jandakot airport. They had a Bell 47 and were hoping to get a S300 instrument trainer. I spoke to them in mid 2004 requesting basic instrument training. During this conversation they told me that they hoped to get JAR approval etc etc etc. I've not heard anything since and can't even remember what they are called! Not a lot of help really!! Something to go on though.

FlightOops
17th Jun 2005, 10:19
Being a "stinking" pom and having completed a CASA CPL(H) in E. Australia, I returned to the UK still a little green expecting to get a job ... long story and 4 years later, I have just completed the first module of an excellent distance learning ATPL(H).

I can highly recommend Bristol Groundschool (www.bristol.gs) for their ATPL(H). The cost to me was approx. 1900 GBP (although they may charge more as you're Australian !!) for all the learning material, supporting CD-ROM with additional learning modules and 2 x 2 week cramming course.

It may not suit your needs as you'll receive great benefit by attending the brush-up course, but it may be possible to sit the exams without the brush-up.

It may still require you to attend the exams in the UK, so again may not suit, but it might be worth a quick phone call or email to see if they can help - that's assuming that 1900 GBP falls within your "plainly ludicrous amounts of dosh that the poms have to lay out" :D

Good luck.

kwikenz
17th Jun 2005, 12:31
From memory the only people heading down the line of JAR theory are the Western Australian Aviation College WAAC. At this stage though I'm pretty sure you'll find that the only way to do it is in Europe. The cheapest option is likely to be Bristol with the distance package and the two week refreshers at Cheddar.

As I understand it, there is still nowhere in the world barring maybe a couple of schools in the US that can give JAR licences and even then only on approved courses conducted full time.

I could be wrong but I did some looking at the WAAC thing myself as it all looked very promising... bureaucracy from the JAR end will no doubt hold things up though.

The helicopter school your talking about is Heli-West. They have a tie up with a diploma through WAAC but are no where near delivering JAR licences... mores the pity, It'd be a licence to print money for any operator down under how was prepared to wade through all the :mad: to get through JAR

Good Luck