PDA

View Full Version : Tips to help with CPL skills test

DVR6K
17th Jun 2005, 02:55
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone could put forward some useful tips and handy shortcuts to make the CPL skills test a little easier. Is there anything that helped you through it all? Learnt that marking a line every 5 miles from a half mil chart on a pen makes life considerably easier when it's time to divert somewhere, instant mileage and when overlayed on a VOR rose, track! It's the little time savers like these I seek.

Any tips much appreciated as the time is fast approaching!

DVR6K

JMac63
17th Jun 2005, 07:45
Did my test last week and it helped to try and figure out the diversion. You only have two and a half hours so he's not going to send you really far away, study your chart think about it. Also mark any heights so that you can give an MSA quickly. Studying the route will help, know all the features along the way.

Good luck

Cutoff
17th Jun 2005, 12:31
Learn and know all your speeds, he will ask you these, so Vx, Vy, approach and cruise etc, cos on a PFL he will ask you to climb out at best angle or best rate etc!!

Also for the PFLs I found it useful to when it was initiated to turn downwind so that it was much easier to pick a field into wind

High Wing Drifter
17th Jun 2005, 13:27
There is a thread on the Flyer forum about going PLOGless. Obviously a bit extreme for a Skills Test, but coping with nothing more than a pencil, your chart and a 10nm thumb is very useful for Navigation in general and I have found these minimalist methods very usful in training.