PDA

View Full Version : Branding, Virgin Nigeria, etc

GlobalFlyer
16th Jun 2005, 17:08
Im sure you will all find this interesting:

What will happen to airline brands?
by Chris Grannell

Until recently, airlines were somehow different from other businesses. Only last year, New Zealand Prime Minister Helen Clark objected to the takeover of Air NZ, not in terms of lost jobs or reduced trade, but on the grounds that the move would constitute a loss of sovereignty. No one seemed surprised, despite the fact that few governments would consider adopting such a protectionist position for any other kind of industry.

Full article at:

http://www.brandchannel.com/brand_speak.asp?bs_id=46

Rani
16th Jun 2005, 17:59
Well since you mentioned "Branding" and "Virgin Nigeria" here is my take. Other Virgin carrier have developed a distinct identity/character, with some icons:

Virgin Atlantic: Silver fuselage, Flying Lady, and the Union Jack.
Virgin Blue: The name says it all, also the Boomerang, logo jets, etc. Lovely brand...
Virgin Express: "The Smartest Way to Fly Europe" and an eye-catchy red fuselage. Very simple yet robust image. Wouldn't know if it works though as I haven't seen the balance sheets lately ;)

From what we've seen so far, I think the Virgin Nigeria brand is an uninspiring adaptation of Virgin Atlantic livery. So what evolved corporate identity will emerge :8 Here are some ideas for a "Nigerianized" character:

* A bold eagle!! Whatever happened to this idea as illustrated on the A320 picture?:ugh:
** A contemporary interpretation of the BENIN mask (Sorry Okada, you're no longer around!)
*** Logojets depicting Hausa, Yoruba, Ibo cultures, etc. Hmmm..RISKY!!
**** A FLYING ELEPHENT!! Only kidding folks!
:O