PDA

View Full Version : SAA - why oh why to Jo'burg of all places

itaxi
16th Jun 2005, 16:08
First of all, it is nice to find a board on aviation and related topics. Do I have to be a pilot ?
Anyway, being based in the USA it is sad to see that more than 50000 expats are agreeing that flying SAA out of the USA to Cape Town is just not worth it anymore. Landing in Jo'burg first, after such a boring flight and worst of all in a cramped little pisswilly Airbus A340-600 is a no-no.
The competition has stepped up to the plate. Prices are better and the advantage of stertching the legs in Europe, then flying direct to Cape Town is much more attractive.
Just thought I would share that SAA (and I am/was a gold member voyager) I think I will just use my free tickets and acrue with alternative Airlines.

A300Man-2005
16th Jun 2005, 16:25
.....cramped little A340-600??????????????

Welcome here!

PAXboy
16th Jun 2005, 17:51
Dear itaxi,

If you are prepared to use fighting talk (cramped little pisswilly) I am sure that we can find room for you in this esteemed waiting lounge. :}

I think that SAA have placed themselves in a small corner: they cut corners to save money and did what they thought the customer wanted OR what would fit the aircraft that they had available OR what the Tourist board told them would happen OR ...

You may be interested to check out African Aviation in the Geographical forums. But be prepared, they are tough lot down there. (I hasten to add that I am half South African!)

--------------------
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Tolsti
16th Jun 2005, 18:25
''cramped little pisswilly Airbus A340-600 ''

Well I would suppose it would be to a septic given the size of their asses!!!

BOFH
17th Jun 2005, 18:28
Leaving aside the subject of Americans' bottoms, unless you are referring to Brooke Shields, it does seem a pity that JNB is the hub. If I were to stop over in SA I'd want it to be CPT.

If you feel, [B]itaxi[/], you'll be better off in a 744 you are in for a new world of pain. Stretching your legs and mind in Urrup for a couple of days will do you the world of good on a long flight, no matter what sort of aircraft you take.

Who knows, maybe you can experience the hulking, 20-stone (locally-grown) monster who accompanied me on my Tube trip this morning! You'll yearn for the luxury of that 32" pitch when you leave.

In answer to your first question, no, unless you intend flying the aircraft. It's wise to apply to the airline first, though.:-}

Have a great trip
BOFH

OZcabincrew
18th Jun 2005, 17:24
Hi!

What are SAA like anyway? I've heard that they're not very good!

Oz

fluffyfan
18th Jun 2005, 18:24
I hear they are the same as Qantas.........****..........up yours Os Cabin Crew......go home to your sheep

TightSlot
18th Jun 2005, 20:03
Thanks for your insight fluffy - Take a cold shower and a 24 hr threadban to help you calm down

:(

Wonderworld
19th Jun 2005, 00:52
Oh dear! fluffyfan seems unable to tell the difference between Ozmates and Kiwis! :p

B Sousa
22nd Jun 2005, 16:15
Tight one
Are you not a bit harsh on fluffy. Its a little bit of pride in ones national carrier.I mean they have an Airline in SA thats funded and refunded by the taxpayers. Most wont fly SAA unless they have to as its really taking a dive..........
Thats what we all here.......
Wife just flew SAA from LHR/ JNB and said all was well , food was good, service OK.......and it was half full.
Who are we to believe........??

PAXboy
23rd Jun 2005, 01:08
and it was half full. My nephew operates on the flight deck of SAA 744s and reports that their load factors are very high.

Of course some rotations will be less busy but, overall, the Europe to South Africa routes are very busy and very profitable.

B Sousa
23rd Jun 2005, 13:34
I Agree with Paxboy as to loads, must have been an unusual day. Point was based on threads in the African forum. Hosties arrested for theft, another where hosties arrested /fired for prostitution (in flight). Money being siphoned off etc.....That it does not sound like it would be around were it not for the taxpayer in SA.

OZcabincrew
24th Jun 2005, 16:35
fluffyfan,

I really do feel sorry for you. I am just posting what i have heard for some clarification. If you are that pro SAA then that was your chance to tell me and others how good they are, but instead you chose to have a bit of a dummy spit. There must be some truth then in what i'd heard.

Thanks for that fluffyfan.

sheep, haha, you make me laugh!

Oz

TightSlot
25th Jun 2005, 13:49
TAVLA - Post deleted and banned

PAXboy
25th Jun 2005, 22:35
How curious it is when two people have such different views of a third. As a brand new arrival here, Tavla, it appears that you may be a regular who has posted under an alternative name, inorder to criticise a moderator.

As one who has been reading this board for some time I can say that the remarkable thing about Tight Slot, and the other mods, is that they are tolerant to a very great degree but are always even handed.

When you actually read the rules of this place, you will see why they are interpreted as they are. If you do not like the rules then you can leave.

Of course, I may be completing misjudging you ...