PDA

View Full Version : A&P or Pilot

cadman151
9th Jan 2001, 02:57
I?m currently trying to decide on whether to become a Helicopter Pilot or an A&P Mechanic. I?ve done a lot of research into both fields for schools, costs, etc. to get started in each of them, but I would like to get real world info. from people in each field. What locations (Florida, California, etc.) are best for helicopter flight training? What schools are good and what kind of things should I look for in a school (Helicopter Pilot and A&P)? Would getting an associates degree be a major thing to have or would it just be a slight plus for receiving a job (Helicopter Pilot and A&P)? I have read in some places that helicopter pilots are in demand and that after about 1 to 1-1/2 years as a CFI you are able to move on to better jobs. In other places I?ve read that it is almost imposable to get a job as a CFI, much less be able to move on. I know that A&P?s are in high demand, but most jobs I see require 3 years experience. How tough is it to get started, what?s the current job market actually like and what?s the future expected to be (Helicopter Pilot and A&P)? What should I expect to make starting out in each field? The pay doesn?t really matter much I just need to live. I currently am working as a drafter and hate my job because I am locked in a room with on windows all day. I love to work on cars, lawn mowers, and other mechanical things. I have been up in helicopters for work and loved every minute of it. If anyone feels like it I would like to know what path your career took (how you got started and so forth) just post it here or e-mail me. If anyone has any other info. that may be helpful please post it. I know there are others like myself that like to here what the more experienced have to say.
Sorry for the length thanks,
Kenneth

Blacksheep
9th Jan 2001, 05:00
Pilot.

They think the world revolves around them and, in the aviation world, it does!

Since its no harder to become a pilot than an A&P there is nothing to think about really...

Through difficulties to the cinema

SchmiteGoBust
10th Jan 2001, 04:23
As a matter of fact its easier to become a pilot than an A+P. All you need is the money.Doesn't take as long or as much study!!!

Jango
10th Jan 2001, 09:32
Pilot yes, but if you want the big bucks, not heli pilot! Less openings globally for whirly boys and generally lower pay.

spanners
10th Jan 2001, 20:42
Actually I disagree. It takes more study to be a pilot than an A & P!!(CAA version-now thats different!)
You have to have alot of money to become a pilot if you have no sponsor and helis are even more expensive. You can get an A & P for less than a couple of thousand dollars at an inclusive school in the States. Their practical can be a bit tougher but the writtens are a doddle compared to the UK CAA version as they give you all the answers out of a database of questions. With examiners on the staff you should be able to get an educated guess at the practical.
You can get an A & P for the same cost as a few heli lessons and equipment here, so you can do both if you want.

[This message has been edited by spanners (edited 10 January 2001).]

FNQTech
11th Jan 2001, 01:48
Here in OZ, heli pilots who also are LAME's are in demand. Work is mainly remote, mustering, line checks etc, but money is OK.

Jango
11th Jan 2001, 12:15
There used to be plenty of pilot/spanner heli jobs in canada (logging) and as spotters on the tuna boats out of guam, but I heard they were trying to out-law it as too many accidents. Fly 8-10 hrs then come back and do maintenance..tough day.

Notsoginger
11th Jan 2001, 22:49
Given the choice of flying choppers in the nice,warm, clear air of Florida or California or changing wheels and brakes with freezing wet hands in the NW of England.
No contest, it has to be HOME!!

Sunny Manchester (England that is!)

Cheery bye

ENGINEERS RULE OK!

Chad Helmuth
13th Jan 2001, 04:32
Notsoginger,
Is that different rain to Liverpool ???

near enuf is good enuf
21st Jan 2001, 17:19
PILOT, oh sorry was I screaming, pilot.

JD
23rd Jan 2001, 06:00
When I graduated from East Coast Aero Tech in 1988 my tuition was 13,800!!! I hear it is now over 20,000!!! I should have spent that money at flight safety, at least i would have gotten a better return on my investment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SchmiteGoBust
25th Jan 2001, 06:54
Sorry spanners. Didn't mean to tread on anyones feet-but I did the CAA version and after qualifying as an apprentice and getting a few years experience it then took me 2 years more study to pass!!

spanners
31st Jan 2001, 00:56
SGB; absolut3ely, I think the CAA version is much harder to aquire, (or was). Much more study reqd compared to the A & P but with the new JAA bits and pieces it could be a nightmare.
Teens going to college and doing the theory ending up with licences is not a good thing no matter what the CAA say about it being just a building block. When I used to be an LAE I came across a guy doing work experience who was lined up to do just such a college course. He was so dangerous it was unbelievable and insisted that everyting was the way he was taught in college!!
with guys like that in the line i'm not sure if being a pilot is a wise thing!!

CONES R US
4th Feb 2001, 09:53
I think I work with that guy spanners!!!!

Definately go for pilot, the world is your lobster (?)

------------------
Gimme a bottle of anything, and a glazed donut......TO GO!

[This message has been edited by CONES R US (edited 04 February 2001).]

Rob_L
5th Feb 2001, 03:42
Why is it that when engineers from the field are shouting that there is real problem with the standard of licensed engineers the CAA refuses to take any notice. Where does the CAA get its information from? In 2 years on my current station in the UK as a certifying engineer I have never seen a surveyor and not only that I haven't a clue who he, she, they are. In 22 years in civil aviation I have never found myself in this position before. Is the CAA a figment of my imagination?

PILLOW
5th Feb 2001, 11:55
My heart tells to be a LAME but my wallet says be a pilot .

I am glad I became a Lame