PDA

View Full Version : Radar aural exam

squitter
15th Nov 2000, 03:14
Could anyone let me know any recent aural questions for LWTR radar. Thanks chaps.

CONES R US
15th Nov 2000, 18:53
I did my Radar not too long ago at East Mids and didn't get too many taxing questions.
DME and weather radar seemed to be where they concentrated on with me. I was asked about how the PRF changes on WxR when you change the range selection, the display colours for rainfall, antenna construction and safety precautions to be observed, frequency ranges for equipments, how DME and ATC manage to work in the same freq. range, a bit on rad alt - type of aerials and where they are etc, modes of ATC - the pulse spacings for each mode and a mention of mode S and TCAS.
I did radio at the same time and was only in for about 25 mins, and that included the pre-exam chat.
I don't know of anyone who has done the CAA exam recently only a couple who have done the IAA version if that's any help.

------------------
NO FAULT FOUND

Whot_no_tug
15th Nov 2000, 23:23
Never mind knowing about ATC, DME & Wx radar. If you don't know the difference between Aural & Oral you should not be allowed to sit the exam as one of the requirements is to be able to understand ENGLISH.

Clever Bloke
17th Nov 2000, 00:43
Well said.

Another one that annoys me, people don't seem to know the difference between "your" and "you're"

squitter
18th Nov 2000, 16:04
so perhaps you could explain the meaning of the word `whot`. I bet you put your aircraft in hangers!

Whot_no_tug
18th Nov 2000, 21:55
"Whot" is part of a username, as you will see most are piss takes of some form.

I do know how to spell hangar. So what’s the point? You know how to spell hangar?

You, however, just proved that you are small-minded idiot. All you can do is have a petty attack over my nickname rather than apologise for being allowed to use a PC whilst being illiterate.

Having an attack at me does not change the fact you got aural & oral wrong.

Are you sure you should not be doing A&C rather than Radio?

Crashed & Burned
18th Nov 2000, 21:59
Or sweeping roads!

spannersatcx
19th Nov 2000, 00:20
Now now girls let's not get silly, keep it civil.

squitter
19th Nov 2000, 01:13
`Small minded` and `petty attack` is exactly what you did with your reply. I was asking for recent exam questions, not for a slating. Fair enough that i mixed my words (i`ll remember your comment next time i pull the aural warning circuit breaker on a land verify!)and yes, i admit i got it wrong, but hardly worth getting on your high horse about. Crikey,that`s what they do on the pilot`s pages. Let`s keep them off of this one.

[This message has been edited by squitter (edited 18 November 2000).]

Clever Bloke
20th Nov 2000, 20:11
Just to put you straight, "aural" relates to the ears, ie something that is heard, "oral" relates to the mouth, ie something that is spoken. (I can hear the lewd replies starting so don't bother!)
Which is why you have an aural warning circuit breaker, these are warnings intended to be heard, not spoken.

With regards to the original post......
Learn how to use the Nav402 and the ATC600 thoroughly.
Draw a block diagram of a vhf comms t/r.
Practical aspects of how to test aerial systems.
DME/frequencies, why dme and atc transponder are linked together and remember WRT DME..63Mhz.
I'll have a chat at work and see what else they can remember.

moon
20th Nov 2000, 23:19
I'm about to sit radio/radar too, does anyone have any multi guess questions?

CONES R US
21st Nov 2000, 18:08
I have a few radio questions, sorry no radar as someone still has my radar notes. If you want to email me your address I can post them on to you. I'll even pay the postage.
My email is: [email protected]

------------------
NO FAULT FOUND

jetfueldrinker
22nd Nov 2000, 13:43
Just a note for all those cleaver dicks out there who gave our colleague an unfair slagging off; it is typical of engineers to miss spell. In human factors we went quite deep into the make up of various types of job and the type of person that USUALLY one would associate with doing such. And one of the traits of engineers is that they will miss spell. So go easy on him!

Whot_no_tug
23rd Nov 2000, 00:22
JFD - Not spelling incorrect but the wrong word. There is a difference.

As I said he should be A&C not radio!

4Rvibes
23rd Nov 2000, 01:01
JFD,What reasons did they give in HF which portrayed engineers bad spellers? A latency toward dyslexia or illiteracy perhaps. Personally I don't wear it, a concisely written worksheet is essential to proper maintenance.
Secondly, much as I'd like to, I've never thought of myself as a CLEAVER dick but perhaps that was a Freudian slip!
Most of the spelling mistakes in posts are due to finger trouble and reading typed text at 8 point before you post, it's only when you read the message in full size you realise that you f***ed up, although this post is largely humourous it does try make a point.
Cheers
4R
PS Misspell is one word.
Changing my username to Pedant

[This message has been edited by 4Rvibes (edited 23 November 2000).]

squitter
25th Nov 2000, 23:54
Been away for a few days, but back now and would like to thank those of you who have helped with my original request. It highlights how useful a facility something like this is. Thanks also to those of you who came to my defence over the trivial matter of wording. I have been in this industry for 22 years and if nothing else, the one thing i enjoy about being a part of it is the spirit of cameradrie that exists in aviation engineering. It is good to see that, for the most part, that spirit also exists in these anonymous pages.
`WhotnoTug`, the only problem with the written statement is that the meaning can be misread. I meant no offence in my response to your username and my misuse of the word `hanger` was deliberate. `Hangar`, (a shed for aircraft), is constantly being mispelled as `hanger` (an implement upon which something is hung).The point is that we don`t criticize people every time we see it done. (I`ve even seen the BAA do it on a road sign!).

[This message has been edited by squitter (edited 25 November 2000).]

Blacksheep
26th Nov 2000, 06:58
Actually "aural" may be more appropriate. When the examiner speaks it is wise to listen, that is the way to understand the question. When you answer, the examiner listens to your answer to determine if you know your subject well enough to be granted a pass grade.

In both cases the listening is just as important as the speaking aspect.

Aural Examination? Yes! ;)

Through difficulties to the cinema