PDA

View Full Version : How to start?

TallPopularHamster
8th Jan 2001, 03:09
I am seriously looking to change my career direction, and am wondering if I can get some advice.
I have always had an interest in engineering and have wondered what would be needed to become an unlicensed engineer, and indeed if anyone would be interested in me starting whilst in my early 40's. Will the fact that there are forecasts of shortages of engineers help me?I'm aware that it aint going to be a bed of roses but some hints and tips would be appreciated, I would ideally like to work on Airliners/Biz jets rather than light a/c.

[ 25 July 2001: Message edited by: TallPopularHamster ]

jetfueldrinker
8th Jan 2001, 15:04
Hi there Big Boy. One word concerning your proposed move into the aviation maintenance field. DON'T!!!!! As a mech or tech you are considered to be a second class citizan by other fields in the airline world, you will not have the respect that you deserve, and you will be expected to work the most anti-social hours in the most anti-social environment. If I had my time again I would consider learning how to fly rather than maintain aircraft.

If you haven't been totally put off when this thread has run it's course, then there some places that may consider adult trainees. Try Monarch at Luton, of FLS Aerospace at Stanstead. But whatever happens, best of luck and I hope that you find what you are looking for.

JFD.

spannersatcx
8th Jan 2001, 22:52
On the other hand I wouldn't want to do anything else. There have been previous threads on a similar subject, maybe worth doing a search.
The ALAE (http://www.lae.mcmail.com) may be able to give you some advice, try mailing them.
And people wonder why there is a shortage of Engineers!

avoman
9th Jan 2001, 22:42
Your age is not a prob, I went to the then Brunel College in Bristol,( 28 month course for engineering licences) at age 39 and then straight into my first job. There is no ageism in this business. Plenty of work available too,now and in the future.
Worth thinking about that commercial pilots licence though, if you have 50K to spare that should help a lot.