PDA

View Full Version : help with ops. time terminology

ajarnterry
16th Jun 2005, 04:39
I am teaching Aviation English in Thailand and need help about terms used for time... The following is MY explaination of time terms used in the airline industry... I will give this to students three hours from now so can anyone help me by correcting what I have or adding anything...Thanks in advance... Terry

The following is a list of uses of time within the industry.
(1) Scheduled time. = The time that is allocated for a flight to leave the parking bay.
(2) Check in opening time. = The time when the check in counters are open to check in a flight.
(3) Check in closing time. = The time when the check in counters close to check in a flight.
(4) Boarding time. = The time when the boarding gates are open for PAX to board the aircraft.
(5) Out time = The time when the park brake is released and the aircraft leaves the parking bay.
(6) Estimated time of departure, (ETD) = The time that the flight crew estimate the aircraft will depart.
(7) Actual time of departure, (ATD) = The time when the aircraft actually departs. This is when take off power is applied and the aircraft starts it’s takeoff roll.
(8) Estimated time of arrival, (ETA) = The time that the flight crew estimate the aircraft will arrive at destination.
(9) Actual time of arrival, (ATA) = The time when the aircraft actually arrives at destination. This is when the aircraft decelerates to taxi speed after the landing roll.
(10) In time = The time when the aircraft arrives at the parking bay and the park brake is set.

VP8
16th Jun 2005, 06:44
(10) we usually call it On Blocks as in stopped at stand :ok:

Good Luck

VEEPS:)

Flap15Geardown
16th Jun 2005, 09:47
I always thought 5 and 7 were the same as are 9 and 10.
Out = out of the gate
Off = off the ground
On = on the ground
In = in the gate
Or they are in the acars system I have used

max payload
23rd Jun 2005, 22:35
Terry,

Timing references for FLIGHT SCHEDULING:

STD = Scheduled Time of Departure (from the gate)
ETD = Estimated Time of Departure (from the gate)
ATD = Actual Time of Departure (from the gate)
STA = Scheduled Time of Arrival (at the gate)
ETA = Estimated Time of Arrival (at the gate)
ATA = Actual Time of Arrival (at the gate)

Timing references for FLIGHT OPERATIONS:

ED = Estimated Departure (Off BLocks)
AD = Actual Departure (Off BLocks)
AB = AirBorn
TD = TouchDown
EA = Estimated Arrival (On BLocks)
AA = Actual Arrival (On BLocks)

For each flight airline staticians want to know what sort of delays the aircraft has encountered: while pushing back, while taxiing, in the air while enroute or during terminal manoeuvring, while parking, etc.
This so schedules can be adjusted to accommodate "standard" delays due to ground handling, ground movements, air traffic control, etc., both for commercial and operational reasons.

Some airlines have on-board computers register and transmit important moments of the trip, such as push-back, moving under own power, airborn & landing times, in addition to general flight parameter monitoring.

It's way too late for your class, but I thought some background info might be of help.

Cheers- Max :ok: