PDA

View Full Version : Shift Pay Insurance

The Invisible Man
24th Feb 2001, 23:27
Bearing in mind that shift pay, and what we term rostered overtime (if you work 2 days, 2 nights, 4 off.) makes up a sizeable portion of our pay. Do you lose shift pay and R/O if you are off sick?? So not only do you have to cope with an illness, but a substantially reduced salary. Does anyone know of an insurance that would cover that loss if you were off over say one month? If there isn't, if I made enquiries, would anyone consider it worthwhile?

Ps. JFD, whats up with NW?? Nothing trivial I hope !!!

jetfueldrinker
25th Feb 2001, 13:50
Hi TIM,

Regarding your first bit, there are or were some insurance companies that cover absences from work, but from what I gather, they were designed for the self employed, but it might be worth seeing your local, friendly rip off merchant of an insurance broker to see if they have anything that may help. But don't forget, we are trying to get shift pay etc. built into sick pay in this years pay negotiations, so don't rush out and buy anything just yet.

I am having a period of enforced absence from work at the moment, so the news that NW is not up to his usual self comes as a surprise to me. I know that JC has been off with a heart condition, but we are so busy with 'C' checks that we don't hear anything but 'Get on with it, don't stop working, strict break times must be observed'; perhaps the Curry Lover may be of assistance.