PDA

View Full Version : a/c hire near Darwin(ish)

down&out
15th Jun 2005, 21:27
I'm going to be having my honeymoon :O in September in NT and Northern WA and would love to hire an a/c to do some touring for a week or so.

Three key questions:
1) Any recommendations on places to hire an a/c from (preferably a reasonably powered 4 seater so we can get our luggage in and can cover the miles)
2) Places to visit
3) What I need to do in advance - I've found the link to the CASA information on Special Pilot Licences and can follow that - is there anything else I should do?

Thanks in advance

D&O (and soon to be Mrs D&O!)

Jards
16th Jun 2005, 00:53
I haven't flown around Darwin for a few years now but there used to be a pink and purple C177RGII on cross hire to DAC a couple of years ago. When I was there a few weeks ago it was still on the tarmac (I think - might have been through nostalgic beer colored glasses though!), but it might still be available for hire? (haven't been flying in Darwin for a couple of years.

Places to see. I used to take friends over Twin Falls, Jim Jim Falls Litchfield, along the coast around Dawrin around dusk, and Elliot falls. And of course you have Katherine Gorge. Don't let the local sight seeing companies push you around by saying you aren't allowed to fly in these areas below XXXX ft. As long as you follow the fly neighbourly in the ERSA you can't go wrong. Can fly into Jabiru for a bit to eat and a drink. Some very beautiful scenery. It was hotter but better in the wet when the rivers were in full flow and the falls were all magnificent. The air was also clearer and if you go in the mornings and back by around 1400 local, not too many cloud build ups to dodge!

Cheers
Jards

cjam
16th Jun 2005, 01:19
There are a lot of different places to go up there....Palumpa has a nice strip and it's not far to town, shopping is expensive though. Waadi has more facilities, it's the fifth biggest town in the NT so thats no surprise, two or three different art galleries there from memory. Victoria river downs has a lovely church to look at. I once stayed overnight in Annuragu and enjoyed the all night music being played....something about a super star I think . If you are from somewhere cool then remember you'll need twice as much runway as you're used to. Have fun.
PS Can I assume you have seen every other square inch of Australia and thats why you've chosen the NT?

Pharcarnell
16th Jun 2005, 03:30
You've picked the best time to come up (down???) here athough the "dry" this year is a bit iffy, comes in installments.
There's a C172RG available from the flying school, the aero club is no longer in existence. They also have access to a Warrior, almost a 4 seater. Others are around but not many and it takes someone "in the know" to find out how to get them.
Don't know where CJAM got his spelling, can't recognise anywhere so I'll take a stab.
DO NOT go to Wadeye (Waadi??), it's possibly the most dangerous place for a white face in the Territory!
The Tiwi Islands have got sealed strips now, Nguiu, Pirlangimpi(Garden Point), Snake Bay ( the local name eludes me).
Top of WA, Kununurra, the Bungle bungles, Lake Argyle all good scenery. Just have to watch out if the fast kero burners are out playing chase me.
Lots more. I have no doubt there will be others wishing to tell you where to go.
Enjoy.

Sunfish
16th Jun 2005, 05:12
You might like to consider that the country over which you would be flying is not exactly Southern England.

Dirt strips in places and you would need a bit of survival gear just in case (like crocodile repellant).

If you did decide to do some flying, I would be very tempted to visit some of the cattle stations that have tourism facilities.

The best places I know of are Go West to El Questro station in the Kimberlies (Five star accomodation) and some fantastic scenery to fly over - Kimberley coast (ADIZ ?), Victoria ranges, Bungle Bungles, Ord river and so on.

Or go east to Escot Cattle station in the gulf (or maybe Nathan River station?) its about one and a half stars but very friendly. You could stop in at Hell's gate roadhouse on the way, it has a strip from memory.

maxgrad
16th Jun 2005, 06:51
Cjam, you missed a couple there, Hooker Creek for it's prize winning dogs, Port Keats for the nightly swinging arm festival.

tinpis
16th Jun 2005, 07:09
Always loved cutting in the Fitzmaurice river at low level fly down it a few miles and turn towards Bradshaw for a low level trip thru the escarpment country and on to the Vic river and Kunnawuckinurra.

Might be against the law nowdays:(

cjam
17th Jun 2005, 02:58
Good point Max, the dogs there have coats like I have never seen anywhere else except maybe Ngkurr. Speaking of swinging arm festivals....Borraloola used to put on a good one most nights...can't believe I left that paradise really.