PDA

View Full Version : How to become a Ramp tramp for the UN?

ScootCargoOps
15th Jun 2005, 20:11
How do you get to be a ramp tramp for the UN? Do they employee local staff in the regions they fly? i.e Africa

VP8
16th Jun 2005, 06:30
Try

WWW.un.org

and look under employment opportunities / Logistics

You can fill an online CV which they look at and try to fit you up with the appropriate job, although have not seen ramp tramp jobs as such.

They do employ indigs for work but mostly on airfields work from what I understand.

They do 6 month contracts and can mess you around as in my last application was given 3 days notice to move!! :sad:

VEEPS

gerhardv8
17th Jun 2005, 19:58
If you are interested in working in Africa (DRC), airfield services are done by contractors for the UN. In the DRC --- PAE is the company involved in performing that service to the UN and incl typical airfield work i.e: pax, towing, cargo......Not bad - I have been doing this for the last 2 years....pay is good!!!!! If you are interested it i contract work but normally runs for at least a year. Current contract expires end Sep 05, and PAE has another option till Sep 2006......let me know if you want more!!!!!

mini
17th Jun 2005, 20:43
UN World Food Programme is the main air ops agency within the UN humanitarian family, all other agencies (UNHCR, UNICEF Etc) operate under their indirect supervision to a greater or lesser extent. UNWFP is HQ'd in Rome, where they also provide technical & operational input to UNHAS (UN Humanitarian Air Service) and the UNASU (UN Air Safety Unit) which all UN agencies must go through when contracting or operating a/c.

Most ramp tramps are either working for UNHAS/WFP or as Gerhard states, are working for civvie contractors. Its highly unlikely you'd get in through the UN web site, 99% of the people I know doing this got in through knowing someone already in, or were on the ground when the vacancy arose, its all a big network.

UNDPKO (Dept of Peace Keeping Operations) run the military side of things, staff are usually supplied by contributing nations to accompany "donated" air assets.

antonovman
20th Jun 2005, 15:26
please check your PM's Gerhardv8