PDA

View Full Version : the (R) in FI(R)

nick14
15th Jun 2005, 13:06
hi there,
Just wondering exactly what restrictions there are in the FI(R) cert and what you do to get them removed!!

How long does it take to get them removed?

Thanks guys and girls
Nick

LFS
15th Jun 2005, 13:17
It means you must always be supervised by an unrestricted Flying Instructor. You cannot send someone first solo or first Nav Solo.

To have it removed, you need 100 hours instructing and 25 solo send offs.

FlyingForFun
15th Jun 2005, 13:17
The restrictions are that you can't send people for their first solo, their first solo x-country, their first night solo or their first night solo x-country.

There is also a restriction that you must be supervised whilst instructing, although exactly what this means is open to debate. Prior to JAR, it meant there had to be a non-restricted instructor either in the building or flying from the same airfield that you are working at. Under JAR, it is far more ambiguous, and many people interpret it to mean that there must be a non-restricted instructor available somewhere, somehow, even if it means disturbing his holiday in Lanzarote to contact him.

To remove the restriction, you need 100 hours of instructing, and you need to have supervised 25 solo student flights. You also need the recommendation of an un-restricted FI.

In practice, the 100 hours is fairly easy to achieve, it is the 25 solo student flights that takes time. With a bit of help from your colleagues (allowing you to take their students when they are at the solo stage so that you can supervise their solo flights) it might take a few months of full-time instructing.

FFF
---------------

nick14
15th Jun 2005, 13:43
Thanks alot guys!!!!

So what exactly is supervising a solo student??

ah my young naieve mind!!

:O

Nick

LFS
15th Jun 2005, 14:46
If you do mean supervising a solo student then there is where an instructor sends a student on a solo flight during the PPL. As part of your PPL you have to do a minimum of 10 hours of solo flying split between solo circuits and solo navigation exercises. The instructor assess when they are happy the student is fit for a student solo and then signs them off for the flight. A restricted instructor cannot send them on their first ever solo flight or their first solo navigation exercise.

If you mean supervising an instructor, this (as FFF says) has been muddied with JAR. The principle is that a restricted instructor should not be left on their own as they are not yet experienced to do so. The supervising instructor should really either be on the ground at the flying school or flying with another student. The supervising instructor is basically taking responsibility for them, this is often the CFI of the flying school and if they are not there then the supervising instructor is effectively a deputy CFI.

Ex Oggie
15th Jun 2005, 21:17
As I understand it, to the letter of the law, the supervising instructor(s) are to be nominated to the CAA for that purpose by the flight training organisation for which they work. I believe they are then free to supervise any FI(R) instructors at their discretion.

In practice, this rarely seems to be the case.

GASH !
15th Jun 2005, 21:46
That's correct.

Also, those nominated FI's are required to supervise the FI (R) and maintain a record of all flights conducted at the facility by the FI (R) including details of all student solo flights briefed and supervised by the FI (R)

To have the ' restriction ' lifted, the supervising FI is then required to submit all records to the CAA with a formal letter of recommendation.

QNH 1013
16th Jun 2005, 07:15
No letter (formal or informal) required. The FI(R) completes the standard form, and the supervising instructor (often the CFI) countersigns it. Then add your logbook and (currently) a £70 "administration" fee, send it off to Gatwick, and wait.

thereceiver2004
16th Jun 2005, 08:35
why do they need to see your log book, is it to check the 100 hours of given instruction or is it to check that you have flown with the student listed on the form, prior to them gogin solo ?

FlyingForFun
16th Jun 2005, 13:13
Receiver,

I would assume it is to check the 100 hours. Very often a student goes solo without being checked out first (for a solo cross country, for example), so there may not be log book evidence of every flight.

Having said that, though, if they become suspicious that you may be "cheating", they would no doubt look closer. Although they won't expect you to fly with every solo student before supervising a solo flight, if you haven't flown with any of them that will no doubt raise eyebrows.

FFF
---------------

Delta Wun-Wun
16th Jun 2005, 18:02
I was under the impression that you only needed to be involved in the briefing of an exercise prior to sending them solo.....HOWEVER.....all the students I have sent solo, I have flown with them immediately prior to sending them, even if it is only for a couple of circuits. I feel more content that they are capable of achieving what I have sent them solo to do. Yes I need sign-offs, but I am also employed as a professional flight Instructor and if they are having a bad day, then I ain`t sending them and the solo will have to wait.