PDA

View Full Version : Air Nippon Lightning strike!

Ultralights
15th Jun 2005, 08:39
pretty cool!

strangly i have never been on an aircraft that took a lightening hit, whats it like?

http://home.exetel.com.au/pamuva/Other%20stuff/webstuff/image001.gif

Mr.Buzzy
15th Jun 2005, 09:36
Aaaaaaaaaahhhh..... Hair-pie..........

bbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Keg
15th Jun 2005, 12:57
Very bright Ultralights. Very bright indeed!! Not as loud as I expected though! :eek: :}

Capn Bloggs
15th Jun 2005, 15:06
I wonder what the radar looked like before blastoff...:suspect:

schnauzer
15th Jun 2005, 18:35
It must vary a little then Keg. My experience was about the loudest noise I have ever heard. There was a very large brown stain, too.

numbskull
15th Jun 2005, 20:41
It's amazing that it does so little damage the majority of times.

A couple of dozen burnt rivets and busted static discharge wick or two is about it usually.

Kaptin M
15th Jun 2005, 20:50
.....or a tiny hole(s) (usually) surrounded by black charring - which you really do have to make a concerted effort to try to locate.
The loudness of the "bang" will depend upon where the strike is - if it's on the radome, or near the cockpit, then you'll hear it - a short BANG (as opposed to a quick bang in a hotel room :O )

Capt Snooze
16th Jun 2005, 03:13
Quite correct Kappy and numbskull............

Or, on a different occasion, a VERY loud bang and blinding light (cockpit left-hand window pillar hit), light fittings flying around the cockpit, and a rather large sheet of metal peeled back on the upper surface of the horizontal stabiliser.

:ooh: :mad:

Ultralights
16th Jun 2005, 07:57
that sounds pretty extreme! why does it only ever appear to hit rivets or other fasteners?

OZBUSDRIVER
16th Jun 2005, 08:10
Thats the only thing that scares me about plastic aircraft

Ultralights
16th Jun 2005, 08:18
plastic parts of aircraft have conductive paint and/or aluminium mesh bomded into the top layer of plastic!

farqueue
19th Jun 2005, 20:49
UL, it does not only hit the fasteners, but they do the arky sparky around the edges and that lewaves nice visible evedence.

Some took a big hit in a glider a while back, and found out that a carbon fibre disk rag has a rather sad flight path. They found a fused lump of Al that looked very like the control linkages in another padock.

Remember, practice safe bondage ;)