PDA

View Full Version : FLOAT-PLANE Endorsements in Melbourne

Squawk7700
15th Jun 2005, 07:27
Hey I see Tooradin Flying School has just got a brand new Allegro on Floats - first of type in OZ. It's U/L registered, but apparently the hours and experience count for GA training and float endorsements. Does anyone know if this type of training is valid when converting from U/L to GA? I'd be interested to know if it's valid as it would save a fair amout of cash. I guess with the new CASA competency based syllabus it really depends on how well you actually handle it (GA version), as to whether you achieve your endorsement... if that makes sense. I guess it's all in the number of water landings, be it Allegro or Beaver...

It looks really impressive... all the mod cons - 100hp Rotax, electric retracts, Full Lotus floats, etc.. It's on their website.

Now all I need is a bit of extra cash to hit the skies (or should I say water) in this baby!

PS: Wonder if I'd need to get a boat licence?

J430
20th Jun 2005, 11:59
Sounds Good...... does it come with a fish box and live bait tank??

J

VMC4ME
30th Jun 2005, 05:01
Wow! What a cool machine! I checked their web-site. it's www.tooradinflyingschool.com.au It's only $170 dual, much cheaper than a Cessna on floats.... looks like it will be smooth on the water because they are rubber as against glass/aluminium floats. After a bit of research it looks like there's stacks of these out there overseas mainly operating off the snow instead of ski's. Sound cool.

S_Macca
1st Jul 2005, 12:55
Flying a float plane doesn't require boat licence, however it's good to know about rules on the water. you might mixed up with lots of boaties while taking off / landing.

I don't know about CASA regs but for flyng float plane, water landing (we count on a log book) is everything but not the hours.

Sunfish
1st Jul 2005, 23:22
A certain seaplane operator was given a "show and tell" session by the water police squad some time ago. I'm not sure how it went, but the gossip was that he told them that CASA prohibited the carriage of flares. Not sure if he had the anchor and bailer either.

OpsNormal
2nd Jul 2005, 00:37
In some parts of the country you not only require a boating licence, but if you are also taking passengers across the surface of the water during the course of your employment, you are required to possess a coxswain's certificate as you are in command of a commercial vessel on the water while in contact with it.

S_Macca, what you have stated firstly in your post is straight-up wrong. What questions do you have about the CASA regs re: floaties?

VMC4ME
3rd Jul 2005, 14:51
Did some research; you do indeed at present require a boat licence in Victoria for Float Plane Ops, but I'm not sure about the others (the plane in question is in Melbourne). Apparently though, plans are in progress and a new document / requirements is being drawn up.

Be up front guys - the "show and tell" was the Williamstown 185 Float Operator. Flashing of his coxswain's certificate was enough to send them (the cops) running, however at present it's not actually a requirement to have one in vic, nor is it a requirement to have the "vessel" registered commercially. The 185 is bordering on being a test case because he's the only one around.

I hear things are about to change though, so don't take that as gospel. Once they do change in Vic it will only be a matter of time before the are accepted interstate.

Sunfish
3rd Jul 2005, 22:41
V, If its true, I hope the Victorian Government gives up on this because it is a waste of resources. I would also expect Commonwealth law trumps State law every time.

Victoria ceded air navigation powers to the Commonwealth yonks ago. Seaplanes are recognised as vessels by the state's marine act and the colregs, and they are registered by a Commonwealth body - CASA, as is the pilot.

I would also respectfully suggest that the water police have their hands full with other matters and don't have the training to make any meaningful contribution to seaplane safety.