PDA

View Full Version : Magic Kingdom anyone?

Piet Lood
15th Jun 2005, 04:43
Hey gents,
I have been searching the site for months now, but no news from British waste of space whatsoever. Am I looking in the wrong place or is all quiet in the (middle-)eastern front?
Please let us unworthy heathens in on some of your wrongdoings.
Thanks a bunch.

6foottanker
15th Jun 2005, 22:51
What are you after exactly? Something juicy about Iraq to print in your local rag?:ooh:

reynoldsno1
15th Jun 2005, 22:55
...does this mean Michael Jackson is moving to Riyadh.... or Warton?

Piet Lood
20th Jun 2005, 12:46
Of course I was referring to BWOS, of which us infidels haven't heard anything in months. But if Michael Jackson is also going there: never mind: I've got a two year old daughter.
(Or is only interested in boys?)
Strange how a topic can turn around on you.
Any way, I am referring to the safety situation in Riyadh.
Thanks guys.

saudipc-9
23rd Jun 2005, 03:32
From what I understand from those in Kingdom things seem quiet at the moment. However, that doesn't mean that something is not brewing!! Also Saudi's up to their normal tricks and firing IP's just to make a point regardless of the fact they are very short and losing more pilots in the coming months.

soddim
23rd Jun 2005, 09:07
Cutting off noses to save face is a typical Saudi trait.

Piet Lood
1st Jul 2005, 14:41
Any of the participants out there in the Magic Sandbox care to send me a private message?
Thanks lads.

SASless
1st Jul 2005, 14:49
Piet...

Read the newspapers...turn on the Telly...listen to the Beeb on the radio....hit the internet. Pull yer fishin line out of the pprune pond pard...ner. The fish ain't biting.....you are using the wrong bait.

Front Seater
1st Jul 2005, 17:02
SASless,

I am beginning to grow a dislike for your posts - obviously a culture thing, but give the boy/girl a chance. Maybe a journo, more probably not and therefore he/her just wants to know a piece of info from someone that is over there.

Not rocket me old - if you smell a fish, don't reply - don't humiliate. He may be genuine in his quest for employment, but the only thing that is stopping him is his family situation regarding security.

And with all due respect - the media has a horrible habit of being dramatic on one hand and painting the picture that the particular editor wants to to pain on the other.

Lighten up par - ner!

:ugh:

Piet Lood
13th Jul 2005, 02:09
FS,
thanks for coming to my aid. Much appreciated. And you hit the nail in the head. I AM currently employed by the Netherlands AirForce but however, my contract with the RNLAF is up in 2007 and I am keeping all my options open, hence my interest.
And yes, you are also right that I am concerned that my two girls(wife and daughter)will be driven in a blinded car on daily changing routes in their abaya and are not going to like this lifestyle.
Unfortunately you can even get bombed in Western Europe nowadays.
I do however understand the reluctance of SA(S)less to reply on the site.
I do not expect him to keep track of all of his 2000 posts, but I agree that quite a lot of them are of a somewhat negative nature.
Even though I did not check my post for quite some time, I do appreciate that SA(S)less temporarily got my post back on top of the bill.

Sorry I did not understand the reluctance of most people to reply to my post, but please believe that my interest in genuine and if you should doubt this, please PM me and I will give out a phonenumber or personal E-mail.
I was surprised that after the old Magic Kingdom posts were so abundant, my post did not attract much attention. So SASless, I really do appreciate your explanation in this matter, however sarcastic it might have been.
No sweat, I have flown for the Airforce for over 9 years now, and therefore have grown a thick skin.

Thanks guys.
Piet
;)

EESDL
13th Jul 2005, 07:23
Sassies tone might have something to do with the fact that he finds it hard to believe that you haven't tried reviewing the 'Middle East' forum????
Good luck in what you decide.
Why the 'f' you'd want to go out there rather than Spliff your worries away on a barge concerns me:-)

Echo 5
13th Jul 2005, 12:06
Commuting 5 days a week between Texas and the Netherlands must be very tiring and time consuming !!:)

Piet Lood
13th Jul 2005, 13:15
Echo5
Instructor Pilot at ENJJPT (Euro Nato Joint Jet Pilot Training) at Sheppard AFB, Wichita Falls, Texas. 13 countries participating(including our fine Tulip country).
Look it up on the internet, you might learn something too!

Piet Lood
19th Jul 2005, 22:30
Gents,

much obliged about the reactions so far, however I couldn't find anything useful on the Middle Eastern site.
Wrecked my brains on the "Spliffing my worries away on a barge", but with a little help from my British co-worker here, was able to figger out the slang.
Boy, and I thought Texans were hard to understand...
Cheers guys, glad to be back on page one for now.

Piet/ or if you like that better: Pete.

mutt
20th Jul 2005, 21:19
I guess that there is no one left in BWOS to answer your question. :(

Mutt

UNCTUOUS
21st Jul 2005, 05:31
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,163087,00.html

Explosives dumps found to South and South-West of Riyadh. Intelligence alert issued for dissidents detected gathering for a series of suicide attacks on compounds, installations and commuting expats.

SASless
21st Jul 2005, 11:25
Do recall the recent edict from the Saudi Government....all security guards in the Magic Kingdom must shortly be native Saudi's.....and not foreigners. The reason given is to aid in the cure of the unemployment problem. Publically billed as hire the local for security jobs....begins to sound like encourage the non-Saudi to leave.

Whats the chance some of yer new nightwatchmen are connected to the dissidents? Sleep well!

TheShadow
22nd Jul 2005, 09:06
US embassy in Riyadh warns Americans of terrorist attacks
(AP)

20 July 2005

link (http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticle.asp?xfile=data/middleeast/2005/July/middleeast_July538.xml&section=middleeast&col=)

RIYADH - The American embassy in Riyadh urged its citizens to keep a low profile after receiving indications of “operation planning for terrorist attack or attacks,” in the kingdom, the US embassy spokeswoman said on Wednesday.

“We have issued a warden message about our knowledge of ongoing operation planning for terrorist attacks in the kingdom and we have urged American citizens to maintain a high level of vigilance,” Carol Kalin, spokeswoman for the US embassy in Riyadh, told The Associated Press over the telephone.

The embassy had no accurate information about timing, targets or methods of the terrorist attacks, a copy of the message read.

The statement urged American citizens living in Saudi Arabia to “exercise caution and maintain good situational awareness when visiting commercial establishments frequented by Westerners or in primarily Western environments.”

The embassy also referred to previous attacks in “housing compounds and other establishments where Westerners may be located,” that were targeted.

“Neither the embassy or the consulate planned to close,” Kalin said.

mutt
22nd Jul 2005, 17:47
SASless,

Its worth remembering that the first people killed in the attack on the US Consulate were Saudi guards!

Mutt

Onan the Clumsy
22nd Jul 2005, 18:55
Commuting 5 days a week between Texas and the Netherlands must be very tiring and time consuming Especially if it's by narrowboat.

SASless
22nd Jul 2005, 19:10
Mutt,

That is true....but we do have to consider the potential for the Terrorists to infiltrate the ranks of the security forces...that is my point. Even here in the USA...our greatest security fears revolve around the "Insider Threat"....as they are the ones that can do the most damage.

Piet Lood
23rd Jul 2005, 00:01
SASless, Mutt and other repliers,
thanks a bunch. Keep them coming. I admit that the security issue has been and still is my biggest concern, especially for the family.
Steve Flaherty is coming to Texas next month and I know he is reading these related threads, so he can prepare his answer for your concerns and questions.
I am still interested in any PMs about "catches" that people who are actually in the kingdom did not know about and/or were not told about before they went.
I would love to go on a orientation trip, but BAe does not give that option, which could say enough...
I would also like to know what's up with handing in your passport??!! Any first (maybe second) hand stories are very welcome and if you still don't trust me, PM me with a phone number or anything that can gain your trust.
I have nothing to hide or loose and everything to gain by as many details as you guys out there can spare me.
Thanks a lot for the fair warnings, but I guess London hasn't been much safer lately.
Sorry for anyone that lost someone in the bombings.
Kind regards.
Piet.

Echo 5
23rd Jul 2005, 11:32
Mmmm,

" Steve Flaherty is coming to Texas next month "

So, WTF is Steve Flaherty ?

" and I know he is reading these related threads, so he can prepare his answer for your concerns and questions."

Nobody out here that I know of has any concerns or questions.

" II would love to go on a orientation trip, but BAe does not give that option, which could say enough..."

The reason for that is that BAe make aeroplanes and recruit people to fly them and maintain them on behalf of various overseas customers. They are not in the time share business of offering free inspection trips.

You seem to be getting very excited Piet so what's the scam eh ?

A few posts on here which should give you a few hints so what more do you want ?

Piet Lood
23rd Jul 2005, 14:07
Echo5,
do you have anything positive to add? If so, again: PM me.
If not: I would kindly ask you to refrain from any comment at all.
But since you were so kind to post your reply in stead of a simple PM, here goes.
Steve Flaherty is the pilot recruiter for BAe in the Kingdom, so if you're out there it surprises me that you don't know him.
I probably don't have the life experience that you obviously do, but both my previous and current employers that offered me a job outside my home country gave me the oppurtunity to travel to the country that they were about to ship me to for an extended period of time.
I would even pay the airfare myself, I am not asking for a sponsored, 5 star luxury tour around the Kingdom.
Anyhow, yes I am excited, since my contract with my current employer expires in two years and I am about to make a choice for the rest of my career and life that has a big effect on both me AND my family, so please excuse me for putting in an effort to find out as much as I can about possible jobs after the AirForce.

Other than that: thanks indeed for keeping my posts on the first page, but still did not get ANY PMs.

Monty77
2nd Aug 2005, 13:36
Piet

BAE have loads of consultants, advisors etc who spend a few days in the Kingdom on business. They're short of pilots. Tell Steve Flaherty you're serious, but have concerns about committing yourself and your family to a job/lifestyle about which you have only secondhand information. Ask for a recce. It can't be that difficult to arrange. If he says no, they can't be that desperate for NATO standard mates. Would you buy a car unseen? Get on his case before he comes out, particularly if you are prepared to bear some of the costs yourself. I'd be intrigued for the reasons behind a 'no'.

Also, I gather that BAE has acquired some land and is building a 'super-village' outside Riyadh which will accommodate most people. Apparently it will have all mod cons and easier to secure. Bit like some of the Yank bases in Europe where you don't have to venture off the compound if you don't want to.

On the passport front, I'm told that multiple exit/entry visas were introduced. Unfortunately, some bright sparks took to visiting Israel and the privilege was withdrawn for some. King Fahd died yesterday and was replaced by Abdullah. This had been on the cards for years. Unfortunately, he's also in his eighties. It's a big royal family and there is a lot of jockeying for position. Things may not be so straightforward when Abdullah pops it.

Fact is, you're more likely to be hurt in a car accident than a terrorist incident in Saudi. Finally, if you do go, and don't like it, you just leave. It'll be a hiccup in your life which will not matter in 5 years time.

Good Luck

BigGrecian
2nd Aug 2005, 14:22
Multiple entry exit visas are apparantly becoming easier to come by.
I'm off to vist my parents on Friday out there as well for two weeks - so things are getting more relaxed than they were.

UNCTUOUS
2nd Aug 2005, 16:17
" Steve Flaherty is coming to Texas next month "
Well bowl me over with a feather duster. It's only ten years since I got an attaboy and some largesse for reporting a covert Lockheed Team visit to the KFAA Brig Gen. BWOS used to be intensely paranoid about the Yanks taking over Al Yamamah.

Now they're recruiting them?

Piet Lood
2nd Aug 2005, 17:31
"Well bowl me over with a feather duster."

Unctuous,
I love this site. My English skills are only getting better and better.
Don't worry, this is Steve's third visit in the 2 years that I've been here and so far none of the Americans have been over to visit his briefing, but I guess they would welcome to.
Although I'm not sure. Most I see are the Germans and Italians that are interested.
Monty and BC, thanks for the replies guys, keep it coming.
Piet.

TheShadow
30th Sep 2005, 16:29
'Secret' British-Saudi arms deal

From correspondents in London
September 27, 2005

BRITAIN has been in secret discussions with Saudi Arabia over a major arms deal, but talks are stalling after Riyadh asked for three tricky favours, a British newspaper has reported.

The Guardian daily said Prime Minister Tony Blair and Defence Minister John Reid had both travelled to the Saudi capital in pursuit of the agreement, which is worth up to 40 billion pounds ($94bn).

Mr Blair went on July 2, en route to Singapore, where Britain was bidding for the 2012 Olymics, and Mr Reid followed three weeks later for a two-day visit.

The newspaper said Britain's defence minister sought to persuade Prince Sultan, the crown prince, to re-equip his air force with a European fighter plane called the Typhoon, which is largely manufactured by British defence and aerospace giant BAE Systems.

At the same time, the Guardian quoted anonymous defence, diplomatic and legal sources as saying: "Negotiations are stalling because the Saudis are demanding three favours."

The first request was that Britain expels two anti-Saudi dissidents - Saad al-Faqih and Mohammed al-Masari, according to the newspaper.

Mr Faqih, who has asylum in Britain, is accused of being involved in a plot to assassinate King Abdullah.

The Guardian said he denied support for violence and it noted that the Foreign Office does not believe him to be a danger to the country.

Mr Masari apparently fled Saudi Arabia in 1994 for Britain.
The second request is for British Airways to resume flights to Riyadh, which have been cancelled because of fears of attacks by extremists.

Finally Saudi Arabia asked that a corruption investigation implicating the Saudi ruling family and BAE should be dropped.

The Guardian said Crown Prince Sultan's son-in-law, Prince Turki bin Nasr, was at the centre of a "slush fund" probe by the Serious Fraud Office.

Neither Blair's offices in Downing Street nor the Ministry of Defence could immediately comment on the report.

soddim
30th Sep 2005, 16:32
BAE's climbing share price may indicate the way the decision is going - or gone.

BEagle
30th Sep 2005, 19:18
"Finally Saudi Arabia asked that a corruption investigation implicating the Saudi ruling family and BAE should be dropped."

Why would they need to ask that? Unless, of course, someone had indeed been taking 't Bungling Baron's bungs?

Piet Lood
2nd Oct 2005, 13:00
Hey,
let's start this rumor:
"Piet is going to Saudi to fly the Typhoon".
Thanks for the input Shadow.