PDA

View Full Version : Connect at CPH or OSL?

Globaliser
14th Jun 2005, 23:54
Anyone have any ideas about this? I may have to do a time-critical hop from LHR to SVG one morning next week.

The SK connection via CPH is scheduled 0650-0940x1035-1145, and the SK connection via OSL is scheduled 0720-1025x1130-1220.

My time-limiting factor is a ship that sails at 1400.

Does anyone have experience about which is the better airport for connecting, esp in respect of immigration and baggage (particularly the risk of baggage getting mishandled)? I imagine that if I connect at OSL I will have to clear immigration and customs there and then re-check for the onward flight.

Final 3 Greens
15th Jun 2005, 04:31
Haven't been to CPH for years, but the new OSL is a modern and user friendly airport. It is a single, long, terminal handling both international and domestic departures.

KiloMIke
15th Jun 2005, 10:30
You should be Ok with both of those. From LHR you & your bags will be checked all the way to SVG.

Good luck!

The SSK
15th Jun 2005, 12:33
Latest published delay stats from AEA are for first quarter 2005 when the normally good Nordic airports get screwed up by the weather.

Last year’s figures for the second quarter are as follows:
CPH SAS within 15 minutes intra-European arrivals 86.8%, intra-European departures 85.5%.
OSL SAS within 15 minutes intra-European arrivals 86.2%, domestic departures 91.3%.

As for mishandled bags you have got to reckon CPH with large transit flows is a bigger risk than OSL.

But – 1h40 from airport arrival to harbour departure is very tight, maybe the comfort of the extra 35 minutes will make your day a lot less stressful.

Hope you make it.

Pax Vobiscum
16th Jun 2005, 11:44
If travelling the day before, there are two direct flights LHR-SVG:
SK4630 10:50 - 13:35
SK4628 19:50 - 22:30
(neither run on Saturdays), but I guess Globaliser knows that.

megan78
16th Jun 2005, 12:10
You'll have to clear into Schengen immigration at both places. Given that, I would vote for CPH as the immigration area at OSL can be a pretty long walk from the rest of the gates.

Globaliser
16th Jun 2005, 17:09
Thank you very much, everyone, for the input, for which I'm grateful.

I'm very relieved that things are not so bad that I have to do this now. If I had had to, this would have been connecting off an HKG-LHR. There were no other HKG-SVG routings that were any better in relation to connections, and all of them would have been fiendishly expensive in addition to failing to satisfy my requirement to fly to HKG as late as possible tonight.

But I can now board the ship as originally planned, at the beginning of the cruise rather than several days into it!