PDA

View Full Version : Snag/Hint Forum or Database

DoctorA300
14th Apr 2001, 13:40
Would anybody be interrested in a forum or database with hints, tips and experiences, for the common good of all. Of course nothing you could reference a log remark to, but just something that could start you off in the right direction.
Brgds
Doc

CONES R US
14th Apr 2001, 17:01
why would you want to do that? Surely you and the people around you have done enough exams and courses to have a bit of an idea of what's going on.
Such an idea is only really any good if it is kept in a book in the line office or a on a company computer system to aid trouble shooting in the event of an ongoing defect or shift changes etc.
There could be serious implications if such a forum/database was made public, with the press etc gaining access to material that they could use in any way they wish.
If I have a snag that I can't fix immediately and phone calls to collegues does't help, then it's up to me to earn my money and do my job, not go looking to an unkown source for help, that I wouldn't know if I could trust.
This is exactly why experienced engineers (or technicians or whatever) are so much in demand, and I would rather it stay that way.

------------------
Gimme a bottle of anything, and a glazed donut......TO GO!

DoctorA300
15th Apr 2001, 10:57
Cones,
You are absolutly correcy, in an ideal world you would have all the knowledge at your fingertips, but as both you and I know, itīs not reality, system configurations change, are updated etc etc, and we all of course have the extra time and energy to absorbe all these changes on all the aircraft we are lisenced on.
However I work on 3 different Airbus types, and you being a Cones can then understand that any system configuration change is as simple as changing an OBRM (On Board Readonly Memory) with all the software glitches that follows.
Now my idea was that if someone managed to solve or identifty one of these, or any other issue, why not share with the rest of us, as we all know it takes a while for information to filter through the manufacturer.
Your point about the press is however valid valid, and should be solved, maybe an email mailing list, I donīt know.
Brgds
Doc

itwilldoatrip
15th Apr 2001, 23:10
Sorry I agree with Cones. If it cant be fixed with Power on/off or Re-Rack then look in MM and give Reference and revision No.
How can you know if what you do from information in here is correct. Only experience will tell if corrective action is correct which is why payments for increments (for time served and experience) should be more.
Its not a question of keeping secrets but more of how do you know if corrective action published here is right and safe.
Sorry