PDA

View Full Version : pilot in Brazil

ricky-godf
14th Jun 2005, 22:38
Someone knows if a foreigner with a permanent visa and current brazilian license has any restriction to work there as pilot (airline or air taxi)?
Please answer just if sure.
Thanks

apu hunter
16th Jun 2005, 06:51
Ricky,

The Brazilian Code of Aeronautics, article 156, paragraph 1, states that besides having a Brazilian License, you must also be a Brazilian Citizen (born or naturalized) in order to fly for compensation or hire.

Paragraph 2 says that you may fly otherwise (not for compensation or hire) as a crewmember in Brazil if you possess a brazilian license.

Best regards,

Apu Hunter

ricky-godf
18th Jun 2005, 00:55
Thank you for the (sad) information. Do you know how is the situation about other aviation emploments down there, such as flight dispatchers? Are them required to be Brazilian as well (it shouldn't be), and do they have a lot of qualified people in the businnes? I mean, not only airline jobs, but also air taxi operators etc etc
Thank you for the help....

ps. I read in a Brazilian magazine last month that 8 new airlines are waiting for the DAC approval to start operations, they should need someone to make those airplanes fly, don't they?

Thanks again

CortaVento
18th Jun 2005, 20:15
Interesting times... you want to leave Europe for a job here and lots of pilots here are dreaming about an EC passport in order to get a job in Europe.
I don't want to discourage you but most of these new airlines won't be flying in a year. They seem to be just a big laundry business recruiting retired pilots for peanuts.
Executive jets and air taxi are also plenty of ex airline guys who lost their jobs in VASP or Transbrasil. And now, Varig guys are hurrying for these positions.
We are now a big community abroad, many of us (with EC passport) in Europe and lots in Asia. Unfortunately we are following the same path as many as our fellow pilots from other S. American countries like Venezuela: flying for peanuts here or wandering around the world.
Don't misunderstand me, please. You'll be always welcomed in Brazil.

ricky-godf
19th Jun 2005, 02:20
I know Brazil (Brasil, sorry) is a great country, and the reason I would like to move there is for love...to a girlfriend and a beautiful country. I wouldn't mind to earn a third of what I could get here in Europe (don't call me stupid, thanks), but at least I would need an airplane to fly, or even the possibilty to try, but your Code of Aviation seems to exclude any foreigner from the businnes. If I even could find an aviation job such as dispatcher or in any air taxi company, maybe in few years the situation will be good, and I could get my Brazilian passport to work as pilot....looks too difficult. But who knows? Any help is well appreciated.
Muito obrigado

apu hunter
23rd Jun 2005, 13:23
Ricky,

CortaVento's got it right, man!

If you consider a job as a dispatcher or air taxi FO, you're talking maybe 200-300 euros monthly salary... It really sucks and if your networking in Brazil ain't that good, maybe not even that... I don't think your girlfriend would like that $$$ condition either.

Now, if you're really up to it, better marry your sweetheart and try to get your brazilian passport asap. And then apply for a job with GOL or TAM. Forget the startups. Cortavento was right again. What you need is a long-term job, let your seniority number start to roll.

Good luck,

MD11_SW
25th Jun 2005, 06:46
Ricky,

The only way you might eventually fly in Brazil is as flight instructor. According to the Brazilian Aeronautical code (Federal Law 7565 of 19DEC86) you can occupy such a post if (and only if…) there aren’t instructors in the country for a specific aircraft type and limited to 6 month.

The same law opens a window to foreign pilots or flight attendants if there is a reciprocity agreements between Brazil and a country that accepts to hire Brazilian pilots.

The law articles are here bellow (I hope you may read it, otherwise, ask your Brazilian girlfriend…). Article 158 is there, with the mention to reciprocity, but I have never heard of such an agreement being signed.

I agree with Corta-Vento that things are not easy in Brazil but, on the other hand, it’s a 175 million inhabitant’s country, most of them eager to fly – and aviation is accessible for only a small percentage of the population. If economy goes a little better and salaries increase any real 10%, there won’t be airplanes and pilots for everybody. It happened before (15 years ago) and it can easily happen again.

If you really wanna try it, you should marry your girlfriend and go after naturalization.

Good luck…

“Art. 156. São tripulantes as pessoas devidamente habilitadas que exercem função a bordo de aeronaves.
§ 1° A função remunerada a bordo de aeronaves nacionais é privativa de titulares de licenças específicas, emitidas pelo Ministério da Aeronáutica e reservada a brasileiros natos ou naturalizados.
§ 2° A função não remunerada, a bordo de aeronave de serviço aéreo privado (artigo 177) pode ser exercida por tripulantes habilitados, independente de sua nacionalidade.
§ 3° No serviço aéreo internacional poderão ser empregados comissários estrangeiros, contanto que o número não exceda 1/3 (um terço) dos comissários a bordo da mesma aeronave.
Art. 157. Desde que assegurada a admissão de tripulantes brasileiros em serviços aéreos públicos de determinado país, deve-se promover acordo bilateral de reciprocidade.
Art. 158. A juízo da autoridade aeronáutica poderão ser admitidos como tripulantes, em caráter provisório, instrutores estrangeiros, na falta de tripulantes brasileiros.
Parágrafo único. O prazo do contrato de instrutores estrangeiros, de que trata este artigo, não poderá exceder de 6 (seis) meses.”

3holer
27th Jun 2005, 21:17
ricky-godf

Sorry man, just my 2 cents worth...better to get married but do bring her abroad than going yourself to Brasil.

Brgds

3holer

AeroBoero
28th Jun 2005, 18:22
You need to live for at least 15 years here in Brazil before seeking naturalization. There is a waiver for Portuguese, they only need something like a year here(not sure about this).

Sorry, but 3holer gave the best advise in my opinion.

alemaobaiano
29th Jun 2005, 13:25
Sorry to join the list of those with bad news, but a foreigner will have a very hard time finding a job that pays well here.

Unless you are very experienced, or have a type rating that is in demand, you probably won't get through the door. VASP probably won't fly again, Varig is also in trouble and the new start-ups probably won't come to much. Even if they do get off the ground (sorry :O ) they will not be paying much and demanding a lot.

A lot of experienced pilots are leaving Brasil for Asia and Europe because there are no positions here. I know a group of 12 who went east recently, including 10.000hr captains, and the main reason was the low salaries being offered here. It is an employers market at the moment, so it will be difficult for you.

As for other jobs in the industry, apu hunter was spot on. If you are in São Paulo on that salary, life will be very tough.

3holer gave good advice. Get married, stay where you are, and visit Brasil on vacation.

Good luck

ricky-godf
29th Jun 2005, 15:06
Thank for all the advices,
good money is not actually my main concern, my girlfriend would earn much more than me even if I was a captain, but at least I need a airplane to fly (or an aviation job anyway)...and from your posts it seems very very difficult.
I am not experienced, so I would need a self-founded TR programme (I don't think there are any available in Brasil) or a light twin job.
But the passport problem is still the biggest one!

Thank you again.

3holer
3rd Jul 2005, 21:21
Well, if she makes much more money than you ever expect to make you don't have to find a flying job...You have already found yourself a job. Here is the recipe;

1. Come down to Brasil
2. Do all the shores that women do in a house... cleaning, wacthing out the kids, cooking, ironing and all the rest
3. Do good s..when she arrives home
4. Request an allowance to spend weekends flying at the local airclub
5. Say that you love her

I have been trying to switch place with my lady for a long time but to no avail:E Instead I have to spend my times inside a aluminium tube in the wee hours of the day :(

ricky-godf
3rd Jul 2005, 21:44
Well.... that is not the life I intend to carry out! Thank you anyway!

It is sad that you would prefer staying home that flying a big jet, perhaps this will happen to me one day as well.... but not now that I am 22. You can be sure!

3holer
6th Jul 2005, 14:56
Hey ricky-godf

Sorry mate, I was just trying to cheer things up and maybe went too far. Don't be upset with my comments I'd just thought that everyone could see that it was a joke.

If your truly love is aviation go for it, and I'm here to prove that if you have the drive and determination eventually things will come right.

I do wish you good luck in you career.

3holer

ricky-godf
8th Jul 2005, 12:53
don't worry 3holer,
I didn't get upset. I know you were jocking...

apu hunter
20th Jul 2005, 21:01
3-holer,

Joking or not, that sure was some great advice!!! Sounds like a dream...

Cheers,

:ok:

fullforward
23rd Jul 2005, 02:00
Our ' buona gente' boy, only 22, go to Brazil, take your chances!
Blind determination and a lovely sweetheart can do miracles!
Don´t take anything for granted, just go for it.

brazilianpilot
1st Aug 2005, 01:43
hey ricky,

Just one more to tell you that this is something almost impossible to get. In Brasil only brasilians can fly.....so try to become one of us......but first why don't you try the Caribean and Central & South américa, lots of airlines from Mexico to Argentina .....ok?

Good luck Italiane tuti buona gente!

Alexander H.
19th Aug 2005, 21:04
I had a wonderful trip with GOL (jumpseat) in July this year, which I never will forget. Wonderful crew! Were visiting my girl for 1 month, who I soon will marry (We are engaged).

I got suprised when I saw someone else who wants to do the same as me. Try to find jobs there in Brazil. I talked to this captain, and said I need:

- Citizenship.
- Know portuguse.
- CPL/IR/ME.
- 1000 hours.
- What else I forgot?

He didnt tell so much about citizenship. It was a "hit in the face" for me to read this now. :{ So is it really necessary to wait 15 years before I can apply? :rolleyes: This means there is almost none foreign pilots working there now? Would be interesting to know if they waited to so long or how they got in at all. (Please correct if I misunderstanded something about this subject).

I expect to make these requirements. Will soon start my education in USA. Hopefully I will get a job as instructor to get my 1000 hours, which are mostly required in many companies? I also heard "maybe" a FAA education might value more in Brasil. Not sure if I heard correctly about this. I was thinking that if I pay my typerating, perhaps I will have more chances to get through the door to companies there..?

What you think guys? Should I still go for it? I might have any chances? I expect a very hard time to get jobs in europe too, when I finish education in 2 years. Let's hope for better time for future pilots then... :hmm:

EDIT:

I understand now if I marry, I only need to wait 1 year? Can anyone confirm this? :D

cpt
23rd Aug 2005, 21:15
Hi Ricky, there is always a possibility to fly as a "private" on behalf of aircrafts owners, in this huge country there are probably a good lot of planters, foresters and other particulars owning aircrafts and in need of non professional pilots...anyway,.this was the case here in Africa....
The best way is to go, throttles full forward, in this situation.
Good luck.
Tchao !