PDA

View Full Version : cover for nothing (and your stamp for free)

trapper
13th Apr 2001, 01:28
Now as we all know, when converting to JAR cover we need to do absolutely nothing as we retain our protected rights until we retire.Not quite so at BA though!! Latest scam to obtain license cover (without paying for it!) is to tell all eng/airframe guys they need avionic extension and all elec/inst guys that they must have radio cover. Indeed if you don't obtain these then BA will no longer use your "cover" and will in time demote you to first technician then mechanic grade. This of course means that BA has chosen to dispense with the signability of some licensed guys because they do not meet the new BA criteria and expect the rest of us to pick up the extra work. The real sting to all this is that BA have tried to blame it on JAR's. Do any other companies think their staff are stupid enough to believe this ploy at getting extra cover? (free).

[This message has been edited by trapper (edited 12 April 2001).]

Blacksheep
13th Apr 2001, 09:55
Speaking as one who fell for it before, BA doesn't think that their staff are stupid enough to fall for it. They KNOW the staff will fall for it; they have pulled this stunt several times in the past and got away with it. Once I realised what was going on I quit and got a real job!

We engineers are a such a bunch of trustworthy, reliable and conscientious gentlemen (see courtesy thread) that we don't believe that others (in the anti-personnel department for example) are such a bunch of thieving, lying, scheming b*st*rds as to do such things to other people on purpose. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Through difficulties to the cinema

Ali Crom
16th Apr 2001, 19:10
It seems to me that yet again we have been sold down the river by our present union .
This latest stunt by the company only fuels the arguement for dumping the present union for the ALAE who would hopefully not let this sort of thing go by without consultation of it's members. If anything we should of had the union negotiating for an enhancement of pay & conditions for the additional authorisations we have been forced to apply for rather than the threat of a pay decrease if we didn't.
Is BA the only company taking this approach or are there others being stitched up too?

reboot
21st Apr 2001, 14:24
The trouble is the unions dont care what happens to us they are just looking to see if they can get more money for the RMA men, many people belive theses new requirements are JARR ones rather that BA ones. What would the company have done if we had all refused to meet these new requirements? Would they have demoted every LAE and taken away all cover, I think not. Unfortunatly the unions just agreed to everything as usual. I see this as a missed opertunity to enhance are position but its too late now.

:) :)

[This message has been edited by reboot (edited 21 April 2001).]

trapper
27th Apr 2001, 03:04
As usual, the opportunity was missed by the union. Some people think this could be because the top union bods are in the management pockets (as if!!!).Talking around I can't believe how many people fell for the management/union crap about the JAR66 need to get extra cover. Do we have thick engineers? Or do some people like more work for less pay? Beats me, I'm only in it for the money!! Do other companies have the same problem and if not are there vacancies??

Blacksheep
27th Apr 2001, 05:12
Do the senior stewards still have that office in TBA, wear suits to work and have allocated car parking spaces in the executive car park?

Is senior stewardship still a route to an executive level position in Personnel (or is that Human Resources now-a-days?)

Our own shop steward was voted EETPU senior steward by his fellow stewards. We only ever saw him at work once every two years when he came to ask for us to vote him in again. One day someone asked him to explain what he had done for TBJ Electrical/Instrument "B" Shift in the past six years and he couldn't give a straight answer. So we turned him back into an electrician. Instantly.

The moral is that the union representation you get is the union representation you put up with. If you're not satisfied throw the stewards out and put in people who will do what they are told instead of imagining that they are part of the company's management team.

Through difficulties to the cinema

wafu
27th Apr 2001, 10:03
Many years ago in T.B.J. a senior union official was trying to get us to accept a management proposal, after we had already voted on the matter twice and still didn’t agree with the management.

He was reminded that he was supposed to represent our interests. To this he replied that WE didn’t understand him, and he was behind us all the way. Followed by sharp exit never to return.

Ali Crom
27th Apr 2001, 15:54
Aghh , the old TBJ days , I remember them well. The 'good ole' days when one actually looked forward to the frequent union meetings with the heated opinions & arguements that were exchanged. That was real entertainment . Not forgetting the aerial water bombings , the 'Phantom bugler ' & the annual Christmas bash 'The Power draw' whereby everyone who attended had their nickname scribed onto a blackboard with an amusing anecdote or disparaging remark about their character & the 'lucky' ones who had their names picked at random who would be forced to endure the infamous eating competition amongst other humiliating games.
Ho hum , happy days. The ex-jumbo majors hangar had a big black cloud hanging over it for many years & I can't help thinking that on reflection & speaking to other TBJ escapees it wasn't such a bad place to work after all.

reboot
27th Apr 2001, 23:07
a Gatwick department are now working a shift pattern by local agreement yet they did not agree to it. A senior union man came down and agreed on their behalf. The local shop stewards were just as stiched up as everyone else. A solicitor was even hired to look into this and said it was all quite legal. What can you do about that sort of thing. This same man is now not allowed to talk to the managers on his own as he was aledgley caught making secret agreements about paydeals in the corridor. This man dose not work for us he works for the managment. May even be the same man wafu talks about, this one did not come and see us after he made this agreement he just ran away.

spannersatcx
28th Apr 2001, 10:00
So get rid of the union and get somebody in who has your interests at heart, but you'd have to join the ALAE (http://www.lae.mcmail.com)first. Once you have the moajority as members the Co, by law, has to recognise it, it's up to you.

reboot
28th Apr 2001, 20:17
I have been an ALAE member for quite some time. We have campains at work to get everyone to join with limited success.

Trouble is if the LAEs join wont the company say the technicians are not members and not recognise it. I am sure they would not want to deal with another union.

spannersatcx
28th Apr 2001, 22:51
NO, because the Technicians can join as non-voting members, you don't have to be licenced. Having said that you are effectively 2 groups so they could still have their own union, as long as the majority of the LAE's are members then they have to talk. Drop the ALAE a line they would be able to give you the best advice. Hope that helps.