PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Cadetship Vs "The hard way"

Woomera
14th Jun 2005, 09:09
Children playing in my sand pit again!!! :ugh:

zendj meant to start a new topic with the following post:

Qantas Cadetship Vs "The hard way"
Hey guys, just want your thoughts on the Qantas Cadetship vs. the "going bush" approach to airline employment. I am a new 150-Hour CPL with close to 190 hours and a twin endorsement (soon to get the NVFR so satisfy the minimum for the level 2 entry cadetship) I am applying for the Cadetship when applications open (in a few months) - I realize that it is really expensive but if it gets you closer to airline employment - isn’t it worth it?

And I can't work out how to fix it with my steam driven Mod's control panel!! :{

Howard Hughes
14th Jun 2005, 12:16
I would have thought that the Qantas cadetship was "the hard way". By this I mean a lot less people are able to pursue their dream this way, but given half a chance, we would all be there.

Cheers, HH.

:ok:

*Lancer*
16th Jun 2005, 00:35
The going bush approach might be good, but the biggest difference is (un)certainty... with a cadetship you have a pretty bright light at the end of the tunnel, whereas in the bush the light is very faint, and very far away.

It's expensive, but considering you'll land the job 4-5 odd years sooner, its an investment that pays off.

At the end of the day, it's each to their own!

Lancer

Chadzat
16th Jun 2005, 06:19
Is it true that if you get a cadetship its pretty dran hard to get into the Captains seat? Due to not being able to accrue the required hours for an ATPL? (ie command time)

Condensation
16th Jun 2005, 06:36
Does your nationality i.e. Asian affect your chances of being accepted into the Qantas Cadetship?

*Lancer*
16th Jun 2005, 06:39
Chadzat, time to get the hours is about 2.5 years, so no, it doesn't affect you unless promotion is faster than that (which it presently isn't).

Condensation, all you need is Aussie residency. You can be a citizen of anywhere.

Chadzat
16th Jun 2005, 23:53
I'm talking about Command time, ie how do you get 750hrs by sitting in the right seat all the time.

*Lancer*
17th Jun 2005, 01:35
You don't need 750 hours... 250 hours command time is the requirement for an ATPL. Direct entry applicants have this already. Cadets have 100 hours command and log the extra 150 as ICUS when they're FOs.

shnev
17th Jun 2005, 02:27
zedj,

at this time last year i was in the exact position you are.. had 190 hours, twin rating, NVFR rating (all that gear).. And I wanted the cadetship real bad. After applying, and going and doing all the tests in Sydney (not an enjoyable experience), I get a letter 2 weeks later saying "Sorry not this time but you're welcome to apply again in the future."

So then it was to plan B -- move "up north." I was preparing for some hard yards... But as its turned out, there's nothing really hard at all about it. Here we've got the beach, chicks, warm weather, booze.. and now I'm creeping upto 400hrs total time. The point I'm trying to make is have a plan B, and remember nothing (even.. 'going bush') will be too hard provided you've got the right attitude and good people skills.

shnev

ROCKSTEADY
17th Jun 2005, 07:12
It would take up 3 years for your ATPL if your doing 1000 hours a year as co-pilot. Not sure what the requirements are as far as a Cadet gaining ICUS goes. But would imagine ICUS to be conducted from the Left Hand Seat, and I doubt that the Cadets will get Left Hand Seat Training as soon as they are F/O's. Correct me if I am wrong.