PDA

View Full Version : outstation

aeroguru
9th Nov 2000, 04:00
I see the newsletter of the CAA(campaign against aviation)caused quite a stir,especially at A.L.A.E.
Another kick at our status.On a similar vane
have you ever been at an outstation,perhaps alone;where the local station rep or manager,probably having no qualifications,and not of your department,take it upon themself to be your boss and even feel it their duty to report on you.What do they think we are?
Even though they are there 5 days 9 to 5 and you are there at all sorts of hours?
Anyone got any outstation tales?

redtail
9th Nov 2000, 04:46
Usually the outstations are happy to see you and treat you like a king, since you are there to make the nasty problem go away. It's about the only time a mechanic gets treated respectfully.

Ever notice how the outstations are in locations that you wouldn't mind living, if they would only have maintenance positions.

mriya225
9th Nov 2000, 09:33
You better believe they're happy to see you guys high-tail it into to town when they're hard down!
I've heard that if you're willing to work that circuit, you can actually make some outstanding money--but it's pretty gruelling. Do you all do it differently across the pond?

------------------
Un diva très doué.

redtail
9th Nov 2000, 22:30
How can you "high-tail it into to town"? Sounds kinda bass-ackwards.

Yes, there are a lot of overtime opportunities on a roadtrip, especially if the cluster is in full, well, whatever. If you follow the seven P’s and have an accurate description of the discrepancy, it is usually not that big of a deal.

Getting back to the original thread, two and a half years ago, during a work-to-rules job action against the company, two of our finest went on a roadtrip, fixed the airplane, got snotty with the station personnel, then went to the airport terminal bar (while on the clock) to wait for their return flight. The station turned them in, and their employment options were rapidly expanded.

If I didn’t have anything else to do in my life, I would love to be on Boeing’s AOG team. Ever see them in action?

mriya225
10th Nov 2000, 00:19
:) To 'high-tail it' is our southern way of saying "hurry", kind of like a variant on "get up and go".
Yeah, I have seen some of their team come into town. They go straight from the jump seats to work - no messing around - and they didn't let up until they got it blocked out. Looks like fun to me!

------------------
Un diva très doué.

cotos
10th Nov 2000, 03:49
Outstation stuff is good especially when you hold the trump card as we people do, if you don't go then the a/c doesn't move. You have to stand your ground though.
I was with AC in DEL for a short time, stayed at the Hilton, very nice, but after a while there was no room there for me, hotel full they said, so AC Manager DEL said go to this place, It was totally ****. I didn't unpack my bag and went straight to the airport and said I'd be flying home on my a/c and the flight tomorrow will have to be delayed until someone else arrrives to release the a/c. A hotel room suddenly became available in the Hilton!!!
This goes with other threads on this site like "what is the job worth" etc. No one will get anywhere until we all become stroppy bstards and stand our ground until we are treated the same as at least 1st officers driving a/c. The people in DEL were otherwise great except for the Manager who thought he was above everyone until the Engineer came to town!!

mriya225
10th Nov 2000, 05:46
I've only worked on outstation operations (primarily freight - but even my most illustrious contract, British Airways, was handled by contracted United maintenance guys) so I've never even seen a maintenance hangar outside of school. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif
I tell you, every time those hot shots came into town to get us straightened out, I've never seen anybody even think about being less than super grateful and accomodating (our regular line crews may have had a little wounded pride maybe--but they were never rude).
Do you suppose that egos get going at a time like that with some of the trickier or elusive problems?

------------------
Un diva très doué.

redtail
10th Nov 2000, 06:42
mriya225, where do you work and what position do you hold? Previously you have implied you were in still in tech school.

Being from Alabama, I'm a little slow sometimes. Thanks.

mriya225
10th Nov 2000, 06:56
You're right redtail,

I'm wrapping up my powerplant certification now. But, for many years, I supervised load operations on several of our freight contracts as well as being the first to handle BA (my absolute least favorite gig of all time!) when they set up shop here at DIA.
I'm sorry I suppose I should have made it clear that I wasn't on the line - but rather sitting there watching them... I didn't get to leave until we'd figure out what's going on with the aircraft (cool your heels and wait or offload the freight for a ferry in).

Ohhhh--okay--I get it now. :rolleyes:

------------------
Un diva très doué.

[This message has been edited by mriya225 (edited 11 November 2000).]

[This message has been edited by mriya225 (edited 11 November 2000).]